Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Friday, November 10, 2006

One night in Paris...


...is what I will be very shortly be spending!! (With reference to the above title). Yes, tomorrow I am accompanying a group of guys on a stag night in the aforementioned French capital!! Tres excitement!! A friend of mine is shortly getting spliced. Well, to be precise he's already had a registry office ceremony but as he is Sikh his "proper", traditional wedding is yet to take place. Hence one last night of freedom and debauchery, as it were. Except if he's technically already married, that might have occurred before. Okay it's all getting too complicated now...

Anyway we are due to leave tomorrow from Waterloo on the Eurostar and should arrive in Paris around 8-ish. I love the Eurostar! Such a brilliant invention and it's just amazing how quickly you find yourself zooming through the French countryside, then before you know it, you're right in the heart of the capital. From what I can remember the Parisian nightlife is pretty good too. Admittedly on my previous visit I ended up doing the gay scene and a particularly trendy area called La Marais. This time round I'm hanging out with a group of straight men and I suspect the choice of night-spots will be different. Looks like I will be the honorary fag, as it were. I suppose I feel slightly wary about spending a (very long) night out with a bunch of straight men - there's already been talk of visiting lap dancing clubs and chatting up stunning French birds who resemble "Nicole" from the old Renault adverts (remember?) Not quite my scene. But then again I've no objection to being a fly on the wall and I'm sure watching these guys "in action" will be a tres amusant experience. One has to tolerate these things. Just as long as they don't expect me to participate. I am a happily married 'omosexual after all.

On a similar-ish topic, I've just finished reading "The Devil Wears Prada", the latter part of which takes place in Paris! SPOILER ALERT - Anyone who doesn't want to know the ending, look away now please! The ending was slightly anti-climatic I felt. As I predicted Andrea does the decent thing and finally decides to quit Runway magazine, when imperious ice queen Miranda makes one too many ridiculous demands on her. By an unfortunate (yet ultimately fortunate) turn of events, Andrea's best friend Lily is involved in a bad car accident back in New York. Andrea knows Miranda won't grant her permission to go back home to visit Lily, as she needs her in Paris, attending a series of all-important fashion shows. But finally Andrea sees the light, and in a confrontational moment tells Miranda "F*ck you", before heading back home to where the heart is. The conclusion sees her gaining some freelance journalist work. And she manages to flog all the designer wear she got as a perk whilst at Runway, making a small fortune in the process.

"The Devil Wears Prada" was certainly a far better read than "The Time Traveller's Wife", the last read-it-on-the-way-to-work-novel I struggled through, and a rather over-rated one too. By the end of "Devil" the tone has got rather samey though. What is most disappointing is that ultimately you don't get any real insight into the psychology of Miranda, which is what I was hoping for. After some 380 or so pages of her non-stop bitchy, tyrannical behaviour and moods, you really want to find out what makes her tick. Unfortunately we don't get beneath the surface of Miranda and nothing major is revealed. A missed opportunity.

Anyways time for me to say adieu ... I will return with hot gossip from Paris! (But no Sarah Brightman. Ahem. Crap joke, mais non?) Have a bon weekend, mes amis!!

OC xxx

5 Comments:

  • At 10:36 pm , Blogger Margaret said...

    The Movie "The Devil Wears Prada" was also excellent. I'm certain the book was better. They usually always are. Have a safe and nice visit to Paris!

     
  • At 1:14 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Thanks Margaret! I am safely back now. We ended up spending a lot of time stumbling round streets trying to find a suitable club which was kind of frustrating, but I still had a good time. It's a very cool city.

    I haven't seen the movie of "Devil" yet. I had heard it wasn't as good as the book but am sure I'll end up seeing it on DVD some time.

     
  • At 4:14 pm , Blogger Samarcand said...

    Thanks for reading 'Devil...' for me so I don't have to! Hey, what's the point of a book about girly fashion if you can't see the girly fashions?

    Glad you had a good time, although I think I'd have rather been in the Marais than at some lapdance club. Even if the girl did look like Nicole...

    There's a wonderful little Greek/Turkish cafe in the Marais and I'm damned if I can remember it's name at the moment. Although saying that now is slightly pointless, don't you think, two days after you were there...

     
  • At 4:20 pm , Blogger Samarcand said...

    Found it - it's called Chez Marianne. Great food! And then go to Cafe Martini for the best hot chocolate I've ever tasted!!!

    As I said, so darned helpful...

     
  • At 1:47 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Samarcand! Nice to hear from you...

    Well we didn't really get to a proper lapdance club in the end - tant pis.

    Thanks for the hot tip: re. the cafe - will have to check it out next time I'm over there. The Marais is a cool area from what I can remember. And the French do food very well.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home