Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

And for extras...

...here's a bright and colourful shot of Elisabeth Sladen and company from the soon to air Dr Who spin-off, "The Sarah Jane Adventures". Yes, "Torchwood" wasn't enough, apparently. I must say I am looking forward to this rather more, as Sarah-Jane is one of my all-time favourite characters. If you want to know a little more about her, try here or here.

And Sarah is looking very funky and modern in that oufit. Nice boots, and the stripey dress could almost be a nod to her Andy Pandy get-up in "The Hand of Fear". God, how sad am I remembering everything that she's worn. You can tell I'm a queen.

My only reservation is the fact this is a children's programme, due to be shown on CBBC. So I hope there's not too much of a dumbing-down. The above photo emphasises the kiddie aspect strongly - Ms Smith's supporting cast all look young enough to be her children (I could say grandchildren, but if Liz Sladen was reading this she'd probably sue. Oh dear. I just did). And lest I forget, one could argue that Dr Who itself is, strictly speaking, a kids' show. However the beauty of the programme is that it never talks down to its audience, and has many aspects to which adults can easily relate. Or in my case, sad, aging, geeky gay men. Mmm. Maybe I'll scrub the "aging" bit.

Nevertheless the return of our Ms Smith is still something to look forward to, most definitely! Hip hip hooray again!!

5 Comments:

  • At 8:16 pm , Blogger Glenda Young said...

    You like Dr Who, don't you? I can tell.

     
  • At 1:01 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    I can't imagine what led you to that conclusion, Nora m'dear...

     
  • At 11:28 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    I wonder if she'll mention K9?

     
  • At 1:14 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    I’m looking forward to “The Sarah Jane Adventures”. K9's in the pilot episode but not the ten-part series that will follow. I only hope RTD has remembered what made his earlier children’s serials work.

    New Year’s day is certainly going to be a busy one, TV wise. Not only Lis’s pilot but the two concluding episodes of “Torchwood” and it wouldn’t surprise me if “The Runaway Bride” isn’t repeated too, if the schedules follow last year’s pattern. Mustn’t forget new Paul McGann series, as well. Question is… will there be time for anything else, like seeing in the New Year?!!

     
  • At 10:04 am , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Indeed, we only get to see the tin doggy in the pilot and thereafter he's not in it. I too am a little disappointed he doesn't appear after that. I hope he doesn't go the way of K9 Mark 3 in "School Reunion" and get blown up again!! The poor pooch doesn't have much luck really, does he? Other than getting destroyed, I am wondering how they will write K9 out of the programme in a believable way; after all he has assisted Sarah-Jane in her adventures in the past and has been a definite asset...

    Then again as other people have pointed out, Sarah is more than a person in her own right and capable of standing on her own two feet (she did okay without K9 before!) So the fact that Sarah has a show of her own is enough for me.

    And I agree, Time Warden, with all this Who-themed stuff on TV how on earth will we have time to celebrate new year? Or socially interact with other human beings?

    Then again there is that thing called "Record" - you get it on most DVD and Video Recorders...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home