Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Friday, January 19, 2007

Dreamgirls




From my office window this morning I saw a bus with an advertisement for the film "Dreamgirls" on it, which got me VERY excited. Apparently it comes out in UK cinemas on February 2nd. Hooray!! I am really looking forward to seeing this film. Some of my fellow bloggers fortunate enough to have enjoyed advance viewings have already said lots of good things about it.

And as the immortal phrase goes, in case you didn't know... it's about the life, loves, trials and tribulations of a girl group ... based on the musical of the same name ... which in turn is based on the story of Diana Ross and The Supremes. Expect fabulous singing, numbers, outfits and hair, as well as plenty of sassy ladies and bitchin' divas (although thankfully there's no-one remotely resembling Jade Goody).

I can't wait!!

6 Comments:

  • At 4:37 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    Will you take me with you?

    Can we make up a dance to Chain Reaction in your living room?

     
  • At 5:48 pm , Blogger matty said...

    Oh, I hope you enjoy it. I didn't care much for it. Of course, I think you know that.

    Howerver, it is really well edited! And, that one number by Effie at the end of Act I always brings down the house.

    ...but, trust me, Miss Ross always wanted that spotlight and made no apologies. Also, where is that Motown sound?!?!?

    Am I a movie snob?

    Nevermind. I know that I am.

     
  • At 4:41 pm , Blogger Lubin said...

    Kind of ashamed to say I've seen it twice, have the soundtrack and will probably see it again when it comes out in the UK. Oh well Effie we all got pain.

     
  • At 8:32 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Minge - Ha ha ha! Sounds like a fab plan. Or we just need a third person and we can re-enact the Supremes. Not sure who gets to be Queen Diva Diana though. I don't fancy being elbowed out of the way.

    Matty - Yes I remember you saying it wasn't quite up to your expectations. I saw the clip when Effie has a showdown with the other band members and it's all sung (on Lubin's blog I think). Pretty gripping stuff. I know Diana always sought to be the number one in the group, certainly that's the impression you get when reading her unauthorised biography - it's ALL ABOUT HER! I can imagine that as this is a modern adaptation, the music is "modern" rather than the traditional old-time Motown sound, which is a shame. Considering the story starts off in the 1960s (I'm right aren't I?) you would have hoped the music would sound authentic with the time. I have heard the singing is good though. "And I Am Telling You..." is one of the great diva numbers.

    Lubin - Ah, a different point of view then! Well if you like something enough why see it just the once! I will reserve judgement until I view it myself. Review forthcoming.

     
  • At 10:37 pm , Blogger matty said...

    Yeah, I think I am most def. in the minority when it comes to film. Always have been.

    ...I think I might a be a movie snob.

    I never meant to be. It all started quite early when I insisted that we walk out of a Burt Reynolds movie because I saw a boom mike fall into view. My father hit me and we had to stay. ...that was a horrible movie, but it turned out to be this huge hit and I think people still love it. SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT. Go figure.

    But, I didn't care for the play of DREAMGIRLS either. It is a very well executed film production. Great cinematography and editing.

     
  • At 3:50 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Matty - I can imagine that anyone unfortunate enough to be subjected to "Smokie and the Bandit" at an early age would grow up to become a highly discriminatory movie fan. Hardly surprising. I think it's hilarious that you insisted everyone leave when a microphone boom came into view. Even then you were obviously were a person of VERY high standards. And would probably be an ultra-perfectionist director insisting on 50 retakes of every single scene. More than even Stanley Kubrick in fact.

    That's horrid that your father hit you though, not really necessary was it? He could have threatened to dismember your barbie dolls or something else instead. I don't really approve of parents belting their kids.

    And I will reserve judgement until I see the movie of Dreamgirls!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home