Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Monday, January 01, 2007

I've got the sweetest hangover...

Well, actually it's almost gone now, thank goodness. And strictly speaking, it hasn't been very sweet, I just couldn't think of a better title... Yep I have spent the majority of today recovering from the excesses of last night's New Year's Eve extravaganza. And pretty good it was too, better than I thought it would be. As I mentioned before, we went out to Comedy Camp night at Barcode in Soho. £25 for a ticket which is quite steep (although pretty typical for a London night out on NYE). The show was in the basement at Barcode, which is quite small and cramped (there wasn't enough sitting room for everyone there) and not a venue I found that wonderful, to be honest. However once the show got going, we soon forgot about all that, kicked back and enjoyed ourselves...

The first act were Topping and Butch, a gay male double act with a brilliant line in saucy double entendres and smut. They came on dressed in priest's outfits, which they proceeded to whip off to reveal rather more ... radical .... outfits underneath (see the link for what I'm talking about). One of the best bits of Topping and Butch's performance was a musical commentary on 2006 with references to all the major events of the past year, some of which were highly risque but the audience were only too keen to hear e. g. Saddam Hussein's hanging, the Ipswich prostitute murders ... you get the picture. Well gays and lesbians know all about pushing the boundaries. Sick but hilarious stuff.

Next up was Steve Nallon, who some of you might remember from his days as an impersonator on "Spitting Image". He basically ran the gamut of impersonations, which whilst done very well - Margaret Thatcher, Penelope Keith etc - did seem a bit unfocussed and just an excuse to show how good he was at doing impressions of famous people.

The final act was Jo Caulfield, who was tres good, with her caustic observations and anecdotes relating to topics such as shopping, Argos and gay culture. In fact I think I must have been well on my way to getting seriously p*ssed by that point of the night, as I can't really remember exactly what she talked about, just that it was very funny.

Once that all wrapped up there was an after-show disco which is what we had all been waiting for - a good old boogie to see in the New Year!! With a wonderful assortment of tunes from "classic" artists like Sheena Easton and Amii Stewart. We paused briefly for the chimes of Big Ben, and once New Year's good wishes, kisses and hugs were exchanged, carried on dancing the night away.

Can't remember exactly what time we staggered out of the place, I think it was about 2.30 am ... the streets were strewn with all manner of drunken revellers and party people. But to make life SO much easier, the tube was running all night so we didn't have to put up with the indignity of the night bus. Hoorah!! (Why can't they have all night tube every weekend??) And when Gu and I got home we decided we weren't quite ready for bed yet and bunged on more music on the stereo and did some dancing round the lounge. Must have hit the sack about 5am. Now that's what I call a good night!!

So, here we are in 2007. I will be 38 this year, hard to believe in some ways. And I really hope this year brings good things for all of us. I haven't listed any New Year's resolutions yet, but one of my definite ones is to find a new job. I MUST. I WILL. I SHALL. It's just a case of working out exactly what I want to do and how to go about it ...

Aw well. Nearly time for the Sarah Jane Adventures!

Hope your New Year's hangovers have been sweeter than mine!!

OC xxx

7 Comments:

  • At 10:24 am , Blogger Minge said...

    Aw, you lucky bitch! J'adore Topping and Butch. I also remember Steve's Thatcher job with fondness.

    All the best for 2007.

     
  • At 1:11 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    You too, Mr Minge ...

    Yes Topping and Butch were v funny ... would love to see them again!!

     
  • At 12:07 am , Blogger matty said...

    Oh, apply loads of pressure to the side of your forehead. ...Or throw up a lot. That tends to help. Sorry you had a hang over but sounds like you had fun getting it!

    I don't drink.

    I had no hangover, but I didn't do much of anything fun to celebrate either.

    yes, I am THE original party animal.

    Happy New Year!

     
  • At 9:10 am , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Matty - I did indeed have fun, so I guess the hangover was worth it -the price we pay, eh?

    You are such a sensible creature not drinking. I have a few friends that are the same. It must be rather amusing watching other drunken people making fools of themselves! Still who says you can't have fun without alcohol, it's all in the mind isn't it?

    Hope the job hunting is progressing well and your new year is going swimmingly!!

    OC x

     
  • At 4:26 pm , Blogger Lost Boy said...

    HNY to you.

     
  • At 4:57 pm , Blogger matty said...

    No, it sucks not drinking. And, I miss weed. But, I take medication which forbids the mix. So, no party-ing pour moi.

    It is sort of torture to be stuck at a drunken party where you are the only one not drunk/stoned because things that are funny to everyone else --- well, aren't. But, I deal.

    I have fun on a natural high. Yes, I'm high on life. My sweetest hangover is on one of love. Like Miss Ross, I don't want a cure! ...thump ...thump ...thump goes the disco drum.

     
  • At 12:22 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Lost boy - and to you too!

    Matty - ha ha, yes Ms Ross tells it like it is!!

    I know what you mean about not getting the joke that drunk / stoned people do though.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home