Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

You make me feel like ranting


What the hell is going on with Leo Sayer? I am referring to Celebrity Big Brother, which recently began yet another run on Channel Four. I was actually going to list CBB as another of my "Reasons To Be Cheerful" but perhaps that would be going too far. BB is essentially about nothing, just a group of human beings chucked together under one roof and subjected to public scrutiny on a daily basis. And people that go on about the programme providing a profound insight into the workings of the human psyche are talking a load of old cobblers; there is nothing particularly "deep" or "meaningful" about it.

And yet
I confess to enjoying BB. It's a definite guilty pleasure; one of those programmes that draws you inspite of yourself. Seeing how people behave, interact and react when living in close quarters CAN be entertaining viewing, but inevitably it's the rows, flare-ups and simmering romances that make for the best bits. And some of the silly house challenges that the housemates get to do.

For me though, Celebrity Big Brother goes one step bettter than ordinary Big Brother. The latter features totally ordinary people plucked out of obscurity who by the end of each series have gained a certain amount of fame/notoriety. However, only a handful of the contestants have actually achieved any kind of credible media career post-BB. The former, CBB, features people who are of course already known to the public in some shape or form. And for me, what's most interesting is seeing what happens when these so called-celebrities are exposed to the rigours of house sharing and constant media attention. More often than not, the normally well-preserved facade of their public, celebrity self cracks or vanishes, to reveal the true personality beneath and and this can sometimes be quite an eye-opener ...

Take Leo Sayer for example. (Incidentally I should add I've not been watching the show every night but have seen enough to get the general gist of what's been going on). Mention of Mr Sayer instantly brings on images of a short, irritatingly jolly / bouncy pop singer from the 70s and 80s with a bubble perm. The annoyingly twee Radio-2-styled ballad "When I Need You". Leo's high-pitched falsetto vocal opening to "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" - "Yooooooou got a cute way of talking!!" Aaaaah!! Actually that last song wasn't too bad. And I did really like Meck's reworking of "Thunder In My Heart"; they actually made Leo into a credible dance act, for heaven's sake. Anyway you get the picture. When Leo entered the BB house on the first day he seemed full of the joys of spring. Smiling, laughing, joking, chatty.

However anyone tuning in tonight will see that Leo has apparently undergone a total personality change. He has become a ranting, raving, miserable nutcase who is obviously no longer enjoying his time in the house. I lost count of the number of times he said "F*ck". He threw a hissy fit when he couldn't get into the house garden because the doors were locked. When his request to go outside was finally granted, Leo wished BB "A f*cking good night" (or words to that effect). Once released out into the garden he let fly further expletives, giving the camera the finger several times and shouting at BB to "F*ck off". Later on, in the diary room, Leo accused BB of psychological warfare, declaring that celebrities should be treated with more respect. When the voice of BB told him "BB accepts your comments" he replied "F*ck you and thank you very much". SUCH language! To add to this charming display of words, Leo also (rather inappropriately) announced in front of some of the female housemates that he "really needed a wank" and at a later point said that he felt like "showing BB my dick". Quite.

The bubble perm is still intact though. Let's be thankful for some things.

People don't always turn out how you'd expect, do they? And that goes double for celebrities.

11 Comments:

  • At 3:55 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    Leo couldn't wait to remind everyone of his (limited) chart success in the 70s! How could we forget?!! Somebody should tell him, the best records don't always get to no. 1! I thought he looked a little like Gary Glitter when he shambled into the BB house.

    It's not worth even keeping up with now Ken and Donny have gone. I thought, being from opposite ends of the generational spectrum though not necessarily that different in attitude, there might've been some interest in how well they got on.

     
  • At 12:35 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Yes he does have that "faded" pop star quality about him, although he's really not looking bad for someone his age (whatever that is!)

    Donny and Ken certainly didn't last very long! As you say both had the potential to be interestng, a shame they walked so early. Ken's comments on Jade and her family being "guttersnipes" were hilarious.

     
  • At 4:27 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    Leo Sayer is actually nothing more than a dirty old man.

     
  • At 5:07 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    He is certainly turning out that way. Which is rather at variance with his nice, clean image. But like I said, people show their true colours once they're in the BB house. The veneer of respectability peels away to reveal the rotting degradation beneath.

    And I wouldn't like to meet him in a dark alley. Besides which, his oversized perm would make it very difficult to get out of his way.

     
  • At 7:31 pm , Blogger matty said...

    Every time I think of Leo I think of my mom's 8 track which showed a guy with hair like Barbra Streisand's jumping up into the sky with suspenders on. I think, as a kid I kind of enjoyed some of his music but now am not sure why.

    Timewarden mentioned Gary Glitter. Now, him. Him. I liked! Cool music. But talk about go off the rails! Jeez!
    Sad, tho.

    Celebrity BB in the UK always sounds interesting. I was so wanting to see more of Pete Burns than what I could find on YouTube.

    ...didn't Mr. Leo pen some songs for roger daltrey back when he was pushing for a solo career?

    Anyway, this is a show I would watch like a train wreck!

     
  • At 10:32 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Matty - ha ha - yes I can see the likeness between Leo and your icon Ms Streisand!

    Mr Glitter did in fact go off the rails in a major way and what happened with him really makes me wanna puke.

    Yes I do think CBB has the added dimension of being more interesting, owing to the fact that it's famous people we're watching. It's always more interesting to see a celebrity lose it or show a previously unknown side.

    As for Pete Burns he was gripping viewing but wow! What a bitchy, acidic, nasty queen he was/is. I would hate to be stuck in a room with him.

    Not sure about Leo writing for Roger Daltrey - will have to check that one out!

    That last reference of yours is a bit ambiguous - I'm not sure if you'd actually watch a train wreck or not? In which case that'll tell me if you'd really watch BB ...

     
  • At 10:46 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    I remember seeing him on a Where are they now? stule show. He was complementing these girls on their blonde hair and big tits. Vile.

     
  • At 11:31 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Uuuugh. My estimation of Mr Sayer is ... going down. So to speak.

     
  • At 12:17 am , Blogger matty said...

    You know, I've never actually seen a train wreck. And, I suspect it too horrible to watch. But, Celeb BB sounds like a fun bad thing to watch and impossible not to! Not too long ago -- when I was still employed (LOL!) I checked to see if BBC had put it on DVD and they hadn't. Damn!

    I saw a really funny spoof by French & Saunders which I think was making fun of Jackie Stallone and that lady who was married to Stallone --- which made me laugh but I didn't get much of the joke because I never saw any of the BB show.

     
  • At 2:39 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    With regard Gary Glitter, all the clues were already there in his lyrics which were no doubt disregarded as idle fun! "Do you wanna touch me? Where? There!" and "I'm the man who put the bang in gang" being a couple of examples.

    When I was but a teen, a long time ago now apparently, I won a talent contest with "I'm the Leader of the Gang" probably without having a clue what I was singing about!

    Scandal of this nature seems to go with the territory of pop stardom. I'm thinking Jonathan King, Pete Townshend. No doubt there are several more lurking in the shadows!

     
  • At 9:07 am , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Matty - I get what you mean now about the train wreck thing. BB is always shown on Channel Four, not BBC. Tis another channel entirely! However there might be some DVD compilations of the show, I'm not sure. And as much as I have a sneaky liking for BB I probably wouldn't go so far as to purchase any.

    Jackie Stallone was a monster!!

    Time Warden - ahem! Yes! How nice of you to draw our attention to such ... appropriate lyrics. There was also his other hit "I love you love, you're only 2 love".

    Okay. Probably going a bit far now ...

    And how funny to think that you won that contest. Well, you weren't to know, were you?

    You're right, these things often seem to happen to people in the pop/music industry. Who's next for the "limelight" I wonder?!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home