Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Ooooh my Desdemona!!!

Well, as you can see I've managed to fix the video posting problem. Hoorah!! So I can now share the aforementioned clip from "Fame" with y'all. (*Breathes big sigh of relief*)

Yep, following on from my recent ruminations on "Fame", I couldn't resist posting this one. The other night my hubbie and I watched an episode in which "da kids" do their own performance of Shakespeare's "Othello" with Leroy in the title role and Julie as Desdemona!! And here it is. Watch and enjoy!! Woohoo!!




Dig the incredibly dated (and anachronistic, forsooth?) synths!

Dig the abundance of doublet and hose and "authentic" Shakespearean outfits! (In which case, why are there two chicks dressed in silver space age gear amongst the ensemble?? Methinks anachronism rears its head again, sire! Or are these fair damsels rejects from Hot Gossip? Love the way they swish their pony tails about though).

Dig Julie Miller's cr*p acting and weird facial expressions! She's a fey one indeed.

Dig Leroy's angst, fabulous dancing and falsetto vocals!

Dig Doris' "Making her voice so craaazy!! bit. And Danny's draw-on beard.

And dig the sword fights! Splendidly choreographed. It's a wonder somebody didn't have their eye out.

WHAT a bunch of troupers. My school plays were NEVER this much fun, I can tell you.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

  • At 5:08 pm , Blogger Steve said...

    Oh Julie, Julie, Julie! What on earth are you wearing? It looks like a windsock edged with a couple of ripped doilies! It does absolutely nothing for your figure - you could hide your beloved cello up the front and still have room for the entire Philharmonic round the back... oo-er anyone?

     
  • At 5:52 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    As you said in your previous “Fame” post, Doris has quite a good voice but then larger women usually do, as we found with the “French and Saunders” clip. What I find amusing is Bruno directing (same as conducting, but from behind a keyboard) his motley crew of players with all his little hand gestures and flourishes!

    Our school plays were quite good fun, despite having to arrange the music, though you try playing the off beats accompaniment on the clarinet for “Colonel Bogey” as you march round the school hall in uniform!!!

     
  • At 5:08 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Steve - you are sooo funny. I agree Ms Miller does look kind of weird in the clip. Perhaps she DOES have an entire orchestra round the back, all queuing for a chance to play with her cello...or something else.

    Tim - yes, Doris is a gutsy lady, in more ways than one - whoops! That came out sounding wrong didn't it. Bruno's conducting does look a little odd I will concede.

    Your school play sounds very ... unusual!

     
  • At 7:24 pm , Blogger matty said...

    I hope I never dressed like these people! LOL!
    Too funny!

    ...was this show a hit??!?!?

     
  • At 9:42 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    Fabulous! We're going to see Fame (the musical) here in Edinburgh, mid March. I know someone who's in it!

     
  • At 10:59 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Matty - I think we all dressed like that in the 80s, we're just too ashamed to admit it.

    And I still can't believe you didn't know how much of a hit the show was - after all it came out of your own country, dude! Still I know you admitted yourself that the 80s were a blur for you. And some of us had better things to do than sitting in front of the TV all the time...like having a life!!

    Minge - How exciting that you're going to see the musical! I know I was a bit harsh on it in my last Fame post. It might not be as bad as all that. I'm just a nostalgia freak who can't help liking the original. You'll have to give us the lowdown once you've seen it.

     
  • At 6:56 pm , Blogger matty said...

    Oh, no! I never meant to imply I had a life in the 80's! I was just sort of out of it. A sort of drug-induced stupor. I think, mostly I wore OP shirts/shorts or those baseball jersey rock concert t-shirts. ...and my jeans were far too tight. I did, however, sport a stylin' mullet!

     
  • At 12:35 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Well with the tight jeans and mullet hair cut, I actually think you'd make a very good Kid from Fame, Matty!!

    I think you were one on the quiet.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home