Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Sunday, February 04, 2007

It's all good

...is a phrase I've nicked from one of my fellow bloggers, Matty, to sum up something that's going on with me at the moment.

Well, it might come as surprise to hear me saying this, but what's "good" is the fact that I'm potentially going to lose my job.

Yes, after working in my current position for nearly six years, I found out last week that my department is going to be downsized and it's likely that we're going to have to re-apply for our positions. This news didn't come as a total surprise. We'd been told several months ago that a departmental restructure was on the cards; we just didn't know how it was going to affect everyone. In normal workplace fashion though, everyone had been speculating about what was going to happen and all kinds of rumours had been flying around including talk of redundancy, which put the wind up some of my colleagues.

And...well...some of the rumours have turned out to be true. Last Wednesday our sector general manager unveiled his plans for the new departmental structure. And with this proposed new set-up, at least a third of the existing jobs would go. New job profiles have been drawn up and as I said, we have to re-apply for these positions; they're not going to be given to us automatically. However, one positive aspect of this is that the new positions have been "ring-fenced" i.e. they are only available to people within my department, so this reduces the competition. Plus, we were told that if we weren't successful in securing a position within the department we would be "re-deployed" to another part of the organisation. I'm a bit cynical about this last point though. To be successfully moved to another position the job/s would have to exist in the first place - you can't magic new positions out of thin air! And in a consultation with one of the managers I found out that the kind of jobs I want to go for - Marketing, Learning and Development roles - would be available to everyone within the organisation, not just my department. Oh well.

But guess what? In spite - in fact because! - of the situation, I am feeling extremely positive and see all of this as a brilliant opportunity to make some changes in my life, most of all my job!! Anyone who has read my blog in the past will know that I'm less than enamoured with with what I do and have been seriously thinking about making some career changes for a long time. So it's almost like this was meant to happen.

Of course, I should add that I also found out what my redundancy package would be, should I not be successful in re-applying or decide to take voluntary redundancy. And...let's just say that it was pretty bloody impressive! When I found out I could barely suppress my glee!! Yes!! Naturally this has had quite a major influence on my thinking. I am sorely tempted to take the money and run. Also, the new job roles in my dept don't look very enticing and I feel in many ways they would involve doing the same stuff as I am now. Certainly the redundancy money would come in very useful for many things...a deposit on a flat (Gustavo and I are hoping to buy this year) or payment toward a course or re-training, for example! It's fabulous!!

Well we find out for sure about the redundancy situation mid-March but it pretty much looks like it's going ahead. Of course from my point of view, the wisest thing to do now is to start looking, and applying for, other jobs. Which is what I've begun doing today.

Having done the same job for so long I really feel that I've peaked in terms of what I can learn and do. For absolutely yonks I've moaned to my close friends and colleagues about wanting to leave and change my situation!! And now finally the chance to do just that has been handed to me. To some losing your job could be seen as a problem. But in the words of Will Powers, a problem can also be...a golden opportunity. Or to quote the wise words of another sage I know...IT'S ALL GOOD!!

5 Comments:

  • At 3:58 pm , Blogger Steve said...

    I actually think congratulations are in order - grab the money and run! As you've sussed it could indeed be a marvellous opportunity to try something new and get away from a job that is destroying your soul. It's all up to you... in which direction do you want to leap? I can understand your enthusiasm - suddenly the world must seem full of new potential... I quite envy you! Good luck.

     
  • At 6:01 pm , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    You seem to have the right idea, Simon. Look upon it as the beginning of a brand new adventure, the same way that hero of ours would! There are always two ways of looking at these things. While on the one hand it might seem scary, leaping into the unknown, on the other it's exciting and exhilarating wondering what goodies the future will bring.

    I hope your job search goes well and you find the position you're looking for. Were I a manager, I'd employ you! It's obvious to anyone reading your blog that you're well educated with a terrific sense of humour which are two major assets before you've even started.

    I wish you the best of luck and keep us all posted so we know how you're getting along.

    Tim

     
  • At 6:24 pm , Blogger matty said...

    I think this is going to lead you to some exciting things and change is great for creative individuals like yourself. I also know that it can be quite draining and challenging from time to time --- which I is why I did a little Happy Dance when I hear you would receive a nice package should you opt to or have to leave your current employer!!!

    However, I suspect you'll be retained by your department for a different position because they would be foolish to let you leave!

    But, if you want to make a change in life --- here is the opportunity!!! And, it is all good!

    Sending you a warm hug and kisses from GayTown with loads of positive thoughts/wishes!!
    matty

     
  • At 10:01 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Awwww...Thank you for all your lovely comments, guys!! Much appreciated.

    Steve - I need to think a little bit more about the direction I want to move in. I'd really like to do some adult teaching (I was doing some of that part time a little while back) or something much more creative - certainly writing-oriented. The problem is I don't have any journalistic qualifications. Web design is an option too and I'm waiting to hear about a course in that which I've actually applied for already. I think studying part time in the evening might be my best option, unfortunately I still need to pay my bills and rent so packing in work entirely isn't such an easy option!

    Tim - Indeed, if only I did have a TARDIS I'd zap off to another dimension! You're right though, it's exciting and there are lots of possibilies - just like the Dr lots of new vistas and worlds to explore!

    Thank you for your kind words. As I said I get a kick out of writing and I think it's one of my strengths so I'd really like a position in that area. If only we all got paid for writing our blogs!!

    Matty - Yes, as you've recently been in a very similar situation yourself I'm sure you know exactly what it's like! The actual job searching thing does take its toll a bit - it's tiring and time-consuming - I started looking online this afternoon and didn't find that much that grabbed me - lots of admin type jobs which would pay the bills but not desperately exciting!

    Bless you for the happy dance!

    To be honest I think it's doubtful that I'll be retained by the dept - for starters I have to actually re-apply for any job going there. Second, I took a look at the job roles going in our dept and they're really not that interesting and nothing new in comparison to what I'm doing now. So this is the perfect opportunity to up and leave! However thanks for the positive affirmation. I too think they WOULD be total and utter FOOLS to let me go, ha ha ha!!

    Warm hugs to you too. Kisses from Gay London!

    I guess 2007 is proving to be a time of change for all of us, eh? But...it's all good.

     
  • At 3:13 pm , Blogger matty said...

    It is good! AND, you'll walk away wit a package that, I hope, brings you a bit more time than I had so you have the freedom to fully explore the opportunities that are out there!

    2007. Year of Change! I like that!

    And, now -- I'm off for Day 3 of the new job!!!! Can't wait to get past that first month when things start to fit together easier. Right now, I'm just trying to learn everyone's name and waiting for IT to get my PC correctly loaded! LOL! ...normal stuff, really.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home