Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Does anyone know...

...what the ending of "Life on Mars" was all about??

I confess to total confusion.

I hadn't watched it properly since Episode One of this (second) series, owing to the fact that I normally attend an evening class on Tuesday nights, when "LOM" is broadcast. However this week as class was off, I was fortunate enough to get the chance to see the last ever episode! Hoorah! I sat with baited breath, waiting to see if all the bizarre enigmas set up in previous installments would be resolved. Would Sam get back to present day Manchester and leave the world of 1973 behind?

Erm...well, kind of. It wasn't quite as simple as that. There were lots of possibilities thrown up. I won't recount everything here, cos there's far too much detail to go into. But - SPOILERS AHEAD! - some of the "options" given were that Sam was in fact suffering from amnesia and only thought he was from the future. That his real name was Sam Williams and there was no Sam Tyler - just someone whose identity he had assumed to go undercover. And then in a bungled heist he is given the chance to go back to the future. The downside being that he has to watch all of his workmates, including love interest Annie, getting gunned down by a bunch of criminals. But hey ho! It's back to 2007, where he wakes from the coma he's been in ever since getting knocked down by a car. Except when he wakes up, he cannot relate to any of his colleagues and when he cuts himself, can't feel anything. Remembering a colleague's comment that "You know you're alive when you feel" he goes up to a roof top and jumps over the edge...to find himself back in 1973, just in time to save his colleagues from dying, but ending his connection with 2007.

But...what was the real answer? Did he really exist in 2007 or was it all a dream and he was really living in 1973 all along? Had he really reawoken and then thrown himself off the building, presumably to his death? Whatever the answer is, I think we could conclude that Sam preferred to remain in the world of 1973, but what was the true reality? I guess the writer kept it as open-ended as possible, so we could all draw our own conclusions, but I for one felt slightly frustrated. Call me a traditionalist but I would liked a nice, straightfoward explanation...

Any other ideas anyone? Help!!

There are some interesting interpretations here. And my fellow blogger Steve has some ideas of his own too!

And whatever my misgivings about the ending, it was still a very well-made show. I am SO looking forward to seeing John Simm in the season finale of Dr Who. I have a feeling he's going to be very creepy indeed...

4 Comments:

  • At 6:41 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    Now, if I could travel back in time to 1973 one of the first things I’d do is buy all the copies of the Radio Times’ “Doctor Who” Tenth Anniversary Special at 30p each instead of just the one. I can remember the pile of them sitting there in the newsagents. Don’t know what fans will pay for them today but twenty years ago peeps were offering £50. I lovingly carried my single copy home in my satchel! In those days, as an inquiring 14-year-old (lol), that magazine contained all the information you could find on the show. Those were indeed the days!! (self-mockingly imitates Buster Merryfield) “…During the war…!!!”

    Anyway, John Simm is now available to give another Masterly performance!

     
  • At 7:13 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Thanks for the plug!

    Personally I think that Sam awoke from the coma but found 2007 to be a rather muted, drab, ethically dry environment compared to 1973 and so committed suicide. Sure Gene Hunt has dubious morals but his police work is based on gut feelings and instinct rather than dry debates in a boardroom... I think the act of "feeling" in the show was very important and just as Sam had changed the way Gene Hunt worked so Gene Hunt had changed Sam... so much so he couldn't go back to 2007.

     
  • At 9:23 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    I haven't a clue. I've heard the girl switching off the telly meant he'd died and I'd go with that... Though I've also heard there's going to be a new series set in the 80s. So that knocks that idea on the head. Too confusing. I hate things that are left open ended like this. I shan't watch any of the new series. In protest.

     
  • At 10:19 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Tim - Nice idea! I have a copy of that Tenth Anniversary edition, a reprinted version...

    And of course if we went back to 1973 we'd be right in the midst of the Pertwee era!

    Masterly,mmm...I'm sure that couldn't be a reference to the character he will be playing, could it?

    Steve - Thanks for the interpretation! I can see the logic in what you're saying and certainly 1973 seemed to have become more of a home for Sam whereas 2007 seemed clinical and cold - so his decision to return "home" made a lot of sense...

    Minge - The new series apparently will feature Gene Hunt only, Sam won't be in it. That's what I'd heard anyway...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home