Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

First day!!

Well. Today was my first day in my brand new job. And it all seemed to go pretty well. Admittedly it was a shock to the system getting out of bed this morning. OMG! The tube! Commuters! People reading The Metro! The hustle and bustle!

Actually the location of my workplace is pretty central (Bloomsbury - close to the West End), not to0 hard to get to and a very pleasant area indeed. No longer am I in the City but the heart of student land/academia which I think I much prefer. Today was gloriously sunny and warm so I made the most of the splendid weather and headed outside at lunchtime - there's a massive park on the other side of the road and lots of lovely cafes close by. Plus a rather classy new shopping precinct that's wasn't there before (not since I was last in the area anyway - must have been ages ago then). So erm, I will have to watch I don't fritter away all my new earnings in the shops. And Gay's The Word is just down the road!

My team seem hard-working and committed and my new manager is very lovely and helpful. The workload looks like it's going to be pretty heavy but I much prefer to be kept busy than sitting twiddling my thumbs. So here's to employment!

7 Comments:

  • At 10:45 pm , Blogger Alan Fisher said...

    congrats on the new job! I used to work in Old Compton Street and I miss the London hustle and bustle.

     
  • At 7:09 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Nice one! Glad the first day went so well. I always hate a new job for the first week. Loathe it for the second. And then gradually over third and fourth learn to quite like it! Sometimes by the fifth I'm sacked...

     
  • At 1:29 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Salty Sailor! So what did you do on Old Compton Street? Stand in shop doorways and tout your wares? Heh heh. I am sooo evil.

    Steve - Cheers! Nah it seems to be going well for me although there's a fair bit to learn. You sound like you've got it all mapped out!

     
  • At 11:24 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    Oh, what a delightful post. Glad your day went so well. I know all the places you've mentioned and it was like I was there with you.

    I remember the first time I went into Gay's The Word... Years and years and years ago! I was frightened to go in! I guess I was only about fifteen. Those were the days!

     
  • At 5:38 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    Glad the day went well.

    I have to admit that if I can't make my way in the world doing something I love, I prefer unemployment! I'm put in mind of the ironic Morrissey lyric, "I didn't have a job and then I found a job... And heaven knows I'm miserable now!" Most people wouldn't work were it not for the remuneration!!

     
  • At 9:41 pm , Blogger Glenda Young said...

    Sounds like we work in the same area. Innit grand?! I love it.

     
  • At 11:53 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Minge -Thanks love!

    Yes, the concept of entering a...GAY bookshop when you're young can be daunting. I felt the same.

    Tim - Yes, I know what you mean. To tell the truth the job isn't my ideal career, but it will do for now.

    Nora - Indeed! Following on from what I said, the job may not be 100% perfect but one thing that compensates is working in such a nice area!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home