Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Monday, May 07, 2007

London visit

Last week, just before embarking on my Weston-super-Mare trip, I spent the day with my Dad and my brother, who were over on a UK visit from Amsterdam. We did the typical tourist thing and took a boat trip down the Thames from Embankment to Greenwich and back again. But it was very enjoyable, relaxing and a great opportunity to take in all the London landmarks (and why is it that you only do these things when friends and relatives come to visit and never on your own??!) Plus the weather was absolutely gorgeous, making the day all the more fabulous! And here's the evidence...

My Dad and Bro....about to embark on our voyage...Wooohooo!!

My papa looking relaxed and chilled...and what's that coming up on his right...?

It's the transmitter for the Nestene Consciousness!! Oh my giddy aunt!!

How positively charming. Parents are supposed to set a good example. So much for that, eh?

Coming up to the Millennium Bridge. Once wobbly, now not very wobbly atall.

City Hall - home to the Mayor of London! Tres modern eh?

Tower Bridge - one of my favourite London bridges (the others are rather...flat by contrast).

Oh my lord! It's the Tower of London! Off with her head!

Getting closer to Tower Bridge...will we make it under do you think?

I rather liked these modern red brick buildings. And interesting shape/design. Reminds me of Lego.

Another funky building with an unusual design...

Approaching Docklands, and...oh my goodness!! It's the Torchwood Tower!! Thank heavens there weren't any Daleks or Cybermen flying around.

Yet another interesting modern design...London is awash with them.

Docklands swank pads. Probably cost a total fortune.

View from the top of the hill, Greenwich Park. Gorgeous!!

My Dad and bro, groovin' in front of Greenwich Observatory...

Chilling on the grass...

Boat trip back...more chilling...

Me and my Pops.

Tower Bridge in silhouette...stylish eh?

The Houses of P, Big B and Portcullis House. Mmm they managed to fix Big Ben nicely after the Slitheen spaceship tore a chunk out of it, didn't they? And isn't that Mr Saxon I spy in front of Parliament in the far off distance? And the Daleks crossing Westminster - OKAY, ENOUGH! Anyone would think I was a Dr Who fan with all these copious references!!

Gustavo then joined us for a post-boat trip drink...nice!!

10 Comments:

  • At 7:01 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Looks like you had a great time!

     
  • At 6:02 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    It was indeed! I like British weather when it's...hot.

     
  • At 8:48 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    Too many hot men for me to cope with! Gustavo, you, your Dad, your brother! I got a boner!

     
  • At 5:28 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    Excellent piccies, Simon, and glad you all had a grand day out. London has certainly changed a lot since my last visit. Not surprisingly as it was a while back!

    If you could just persuade that Mayor of yours to do away with the congestion charge? Talk about "Gridlock"!!!

     
  • At 11:47 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Minge darling, purlease control yourself!!! What would your fella say?!

    Thanks Timewarden! So when did you last visit then? I guess all the Docklands/Wapping developments are all quite new...and when they made "Resurrection of the Daleks" back in 1984 it all looked very old and dilapidated!!

     
  • At 11:48 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Mind you, I'm very flattered that you find us all so attractive, Minge. I should learn to take a compliment more gracefully.

     
  • At 4:57 am , Blogger matty said...

    Great pictures!

    You are all really far too good looking. Stop that!

     
  • At 5:21 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    Funnily enough, I last visited London around the time they broadcast "Resurrection of the Daleks"! Lol!! A year later to be precise. Haven't been back since I finished my Master's.

    I did stop off and look at Wapping, because it was where they filmed "Resurrection", on one of my trips to Uni. As the Underground route from Whitechapel to New Cross passes through the area it seemed a shame not to! And, naturally, I visited the "Who" shop at the same time!!

     
  • At 8:38 am , Blogger Minge said...

    The congestion charge stops gridlock!

     
  • At 8:38 am , Blogger Minge said...

    Yes, Cheeser, you should learn to take it more gracefully.

    ;)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home