Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Harry Snotter

Unlike millions of other Brits, I have never succumbed to the hype of Harry Potter. I'm just not a fan. Well, with my all-encompassing devotion to a certain sci-fi programme I guess it would be kind of hard to fit Harry Snotter in as well. I did read the very first novel, "The Philosopher's Stone", when it came out, just because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. The mixture of jolly hockysticks public school characters, yah-yah kids with names like Hermoine and general middle class Famous-Fiveness of the whole thing just didn't appeal to me. Maybe I'm being a bit unfair as apparently the subsequent novels got better and were much more serious and "dark". I'm also being a major hypocrite, as I devoured (metaphorically rather than literally) all the Famous Five books when I was a youngster and had all of them on my bookshelf. But that kind of says it all really - when you're a nipper your reading tastes are rather different to your adult ones. Well, in some respects. And if I'd read Harry P as a kiddie I probably would have loved it.

And the advent of Harry P has definitely been a godsend for kids. One of my fellow bloggers,
Karen, made the valid point that the books have got children interested in reading again and that can only be a good thing. In this technology-obsessed age, we can at least thank J K Rowling for re-igniting kids' interest in the old fashioned pursuit of actually picking up a book and reading it. Back in the (distant) days when I was a Secondary teacher, I distinctly remember virtually all of my Year 7 kids taking out Harry P novels from the library...which helped to keep them under control. A good thing again.

Of course the arrival of the final novel in the series, "The Deathly Hallows", has been greatly anticipated by the general public, with people camping overnight outside bookshops to get hold of their much-wanted copy, queues around the block on the day of release and an all-round media frenzy. (And incidentally, what's with the "adult" and "children's" versions of the current novel? What's the difference? Does Ron kiss Hermione in the children's version and kiss her AND get out his magic wand in the adult one? I can but guess...) But the biggest amount of hype and speculation surrounding the final Potter publication concerns the fact that two major characters die by the end of the novel. Yes, I'm not hot-for-Harry, but I'm still DYING to know who they are. Hypocritical old moi MUST know!! So if any of you lovely readers out there have already finished off "Deathly Hallows" and can give me the lowdown, drop me an email NOW!! Please satisfy my insatiable curiosity.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:27 am , Blogger Alan Fisher said...

    I saw the pic at the top of this post and had to read on... albeit very gingerly. I'm an HP fan and only got the book from Tesco earlier today, so I was concerned you might have **spoilers**

    I'll let you know what happens later.

     
  • At 7:16 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Like you I've never read any of the novels (too much damned hype) but I do, I confess, love the films! I must admit I plan to buy a box set of the books once such a thing is released but I'm a very bookish person anyway.

     
  • At 1:19 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Salty! Yes PLEASE - email me with the lowdown! I promise not to tell anyone. Quite honestly I don't give a sh*t about the plotline, I just wanna know who dies! How shallow am I?

    Steve - Maybe one day I will watch the movies! Oh I don't know, perhaps I'll borrow some of the novels from the library or a mate one day and give 'em a go. I'm nothing if not fair-minded.

     
  • At 3:11 pm , Blogger newplanet said...

    For some unknown reason I found myself in the LOOOOONG queue in my local Asda at midnight on Friday/Saturday, with the rest of the geeks and the cheapos [well it was only a fiver after all].

    I saw one person in a wizard outfit and felt sorry for them. They had a look on their face that said "oh this seemed like such a good idea at the time but now I feel like a plonk."

    I've never read the books but was also weirdly curious about which of the characters would snuff it. [I'm inexplicably in love with Hermione Granger and had a premonition that she'd be a gonner.]

    I traded theories with the woman in front of me and told her I was going to read the last page first to find out who lived and who died. She could barely disguise her complete and utter contempt for me.

    I'm not a fast reader so I'm only on Chapter 6, but the last page wasn't as enlightening as I'd hoped. Oh well!

     
  • At 12:38 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Newplanet - Nice to hear from you. I suppose for a mere £5 the book can't be resisted. And the dressing up as a wizard thing is no worse than Dr Who fans who dress up like the Dr, monsters, companions etc. Not that I've ever done that. I too would feel very tempted to just turn to the last pages but - obviously!! - it would spoil the whole thing a great deal...I remember one of my English teachers telling me you should never do that! Very good advice, Mr Samuel!

    Well, if you get to the end before Salty Sailor, by all means drop me an email!

    Ta
    OC x

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home