Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Transamerica

I watched "Transamerica" on DVD the other night. It wasn't a masterpiece but still good all the same. It stars Felicity Huffman (better known as Lynette from "Desperate Housewives") playing a pre-op transsexual who discovers she also has a teenage son who has just been released from jail!

Felicity Huffman was pretty convincing as "Bree", the TS. I wasn't sure if they'd given her make-up / prosthetics or not to make her look more masculine - she definitely wasn't as (conventionally) attractive as in Desperate Housewives but then she was meant to be playing a "he" in the process of becoming a "she". I did find her a little bit mannered at times but it was generally a well-observed performance and a brave decision for Felicity H to go for such a radically different character to Lynette!

The scenes with Bree's son and family were well done too. And Kevin Zeggers (as Bree's son Toby) is definitely an actor to watch for. As well as a rather cute one (with a very nice bottom which you glimpse in a few scenes...mmm).

A low key affair overall, but still worth seeing if you get the chance.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:38 am , Blogger matty said...

    I really like this movie. I agree with you.

    Not a work of art, but well done and most enjoyable. I did feel she gave the best work as an actress when I looked at who they put her against in the OSCAR run. ...but my pick would have been Laura Dern for INLAND EMPIRE...

    And, still -- I keep wondering what this film might have been like if the producers had had some real balls and hired a real transgendered actress to play the part.

    I mean -- they are out there!

     
  • At 5:51 pm , Blogger DanProject76 said...

    Indeed.

    Great film, great acting, great arse.

     
  • At 6:40 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Matty - Yes, it was good in its own way. I can't think of many other films which deal with transexuals to be honest. You could be right about the person playing the part, might have been interesting having a real TS in the role but Felicity H was pretty good and had obviously done her research.

    I haven't seen Inland Empire yet so can't comment on Laura D's performance.

    Dan - How saucy! I agree though. That boy was HOT.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home