Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Monday, July 16, 2007

V is for...Very Silly Ending

What’s happened to our Summer? What’s happened to the bloody weather? Is it global warming? We’ve had rain and sun (admittedly the latter has only been in small measures) all in one day for the last few weeks and it’s not pleasant. Perhaps the heavens are about to burst open and a huge torrent of Toclafane will stream forth. And the weather was totally weeeeird at the weekend. It was warm and muggy most of the time, then on Sunday afternoon there was the most incredibly dramatic, killer downpour of rain. Fortunately I was indoors, observing. I love those times when you’re safe inside whilst the weather plays merry hell outside – makes you feel all cosy and nice.

Gustavo’s cousin is staying with us again and we had a fun, relaxed and rather boozy weekend. Went to our local pub for the first time ever in spite of the fact we’ve actually lived a few minutes walk away from the establishment, for almost two years. Funny how you can have places right on your own doorstep that you never set foot in. It’s not a bad pub but a bit of a rockers’ paradise (which is perhaps one of the reasons why I’ve never visited previously). There also seemed to be some kind of party going on with some interesting looking guests – at one point a woman and her two sons walked in with the biggest, curliest, most ginger-coloured riah I’d ever set eyes upon. At first I thought they were all wearing wigs and it was some kind of fancy dress get-up but no, close inspection revealed that the barnets were genuine. Relatives of Mick Hucknell perhaps? Anyway after polishing off a bottle of wine, we went back home and proceeded to get through about three more bottles between us which was good going. Then I teleported out of the flat and was replaced by a glamorous model-like replacement (see last post for evidence).

I also finished watching “V” with Gustavo. It has to be said, the last episode of “The Final Battle” gets silly and in terms of conclusions, is a bit of a let-down. To start with, the incredibly silly lizard baby that Robin gives birth to. Obviously a glove puppet, it makes one of the Gremlins or Muppets look terrifying by comparison. Fortunately the lizard kiddie carks it pretty early on - but guess what!! - the death of the rubbery sprog actually reaps dividends for the resistance as they realise that they’ve found a weakness in the Visitor’s biological make-up. From this result they’re able to manufacture a deadly “red dust” that will kill the Visitors world wide! Wooohooo!! Very convenient. The dust is then released into Earth’s atmosphere via…drum roll…balloons! Okaay…a bit kooky perhaps. Surely it would take millions of balloons to do this? Although we’re told that once the dust makes contact with the food chain the virus will multiply and spread. Nevertheless it doesn’t take much for the Visitors to sh*t themselves and clear off, deserting the planet.

But! That nasty lizard lady Diana, being a sore loser, decides to turn the LA mothership into a giant atomic bomb and blow up the Earth. Will Mike Donovan and co be able to disarm the detonation device before the whole planet gets nuked? No! But wait! Here comes Elizabeth, the other alien/human child borne by Robin (remember)? Oh I forgot to mention, she’s also aged about 6-7 years in just a few days, and has amazing superpowers! Suddenly Elizabeth grabs hold of the detonation device, there’s heavenly choral music as she’s consumed by a glowing, glittery type effect…and the detonation device switches off just in time! A very corny deux au machina. Which just leaves Diana to escape (cueing her return in the sequel) and Mike and Julie to passionately snog with lots of naff “uplifting” music as the mothership flies back to Earth. Well I really enjoyed watching “V” on the whole even if it does suffer from the curse of Hollywood toward the end. Diana in particular is a fabulous character. I think I may just have to purchase the follow up series – tackier, cheaper and trashier than the original, but still with an endearing quality of its own. Not to mention the return of Diana. I just love cheesy sci-fi. Quite easy to please really aren't I?

5 Comments:

  • At 2:44 pm , Blogger matty said...

    We don't have that sort of pub culture in the States. I wish that we did. Tho, I don't drink. I'm sure they serve Diet Coke, too!

    We spent must of yesterday on a cliff for a picnic looking out on to the bay and the Golden Gate Bridge. ...it was so gorgeous! And, I don't think anyone jumped. Or, if they did, none of us noticed.

     
  • At 9:30 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Of course you can still have fun without alcohol Matty!

    Your day sounds lovely! Perfect...I really must get my butt over to your neck of the woods one day...me jealous!!

     
  • At 5:56 pm , Blogger Steve said...

    God yes - I remember the mawkish balloons and the alien human hybrid inexplicably saving the day. It was all a bit too neat and tidy for me but I still have very fond memories of V over all. I could never entertain the notion of owning a pet hamster after seeing it...

     
  • At 12:35 am , Blogger Alan Fisher said...

    I thought Diana was a fabulous (and I mean that word as it was originally intended) character.

    The V series was iconic at the time. I remember skipping home from the Boys Brigade every Monday night to secretly watch it without my parents knowing. I was also secretly reading my mother's Virginia Andrews collection at the same time, but don't tell her.

    Anyway, the purpose of this post is to say that we all loved Diana but my favourite character was Lydia.

     
  • At 12:59 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Salty Sailor - yes, Diana was great!

    Well, I don't blame you for missing Boys Brigade for "V", I know which I would have preferred. I wholeheartedly approve of your choice. (Although perhaps it was really because none of the "brigade" boys were attractive, so you opted for some fun sci-fi instead?! Mind you, if you were into Virginia Andrews as well, I think all hope was lost, even at that stage).

    Yes, Lydia!! She was almost as fabulous as Diana and I loved all their bitching scenes. Whatever happened to June Chadwick?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home