Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Moving on and moving in...

Well. We are now safely ensconced in our new home!! Hoorah!

To be precise the place is a bit of a mess with things still packed away and cardboard boxes strewn everywhere. I don't know where half my stuff is and neither does Gustavo. We don't yet have a proper bed,there's no sofa or tables and only a couple of chairs.

But, WHATEVER!! I am still sooo happy to be a homeowner at long last and that's the main thing (especially after the weeks of rigmarole with solicitors). Or should I say, Gustavo and I are both positively ecstatic to be HOMEOWNERS!!

Any sensible person does of course know that it takes time to settle in and get one's new place ship-shape. And we'll get there!

Anyway in case you're curious (which I'm sure you are) we moved in on the Saturday just gone. I popped into the estate agents early afternoon to pick up the keys and was free to go to my new property! It felt pretty wonderful walking into an empty flat knowing it was all mine, I can tell you. Ahem. Mine AND Gustavo's. There I go again...But you know what I mean. We were also fortunate enough to have the assistance of Gustavo's cousin's friend, who had a mini-bus at his disposal, so we didn't have to hire or pay for a removal van...very fortunate. We started the whole moving process mid-afternoon and had to make three journeys in all, which really wasn't bad atall! The journey time from South West to South East London was only about 30-40 minutes, of course we did get lost a few times on the way. But by 10.30pm we'd moved everything in and still had time to go for a nice celebratory meal and drink in a nearby Thai restaurant. Phewwweeee. All I can say is that I'm so glad we picked a First as opposed to Fifteenth floor flat, what with all the lifting and carrying that went on. And so good to have the assistance of loyal friends, it certainly would have taken longer if it had just been me and my hubbie doing all the moving...

I know some of you have been asking to see pics of the new pad, and they are forthcoming I promise. I'm just aware of what a tip the place is at the moment and want it to look, well, more presentable before I publish photos. What a particular Old Cheeser I am.

As you might have guessed all of the above has been kind of high on my list of priorities at present, but what else has been going on?


The Beeb have announced details re: the forthcoming Children in Need/Dr Who special. Peter Davison will be reprising his role as the Fifth Dr alongside current model David Tennant. So the rumours on PD's return were true! Kind of. It's not a multi-Dr story and it's not going to be part of Season Four. But as you can see from the pics above, PD is undoubtedly back. And this is what he said:

"It is an honour for me to be able to make the connection between the Fifth Doctor and the Tenth Doctor. However, now is not the time for sound-bites. I can feel the hand of history on my shoulder, even if I can't do the buttons up!"

Mmm very self-deprecating, Peter! But he does look a bit portly in the photos, it has to be said. Not to mention older. And with far less hair. Well, it has been, erm, some 23 years since he bowed out of the role! And that was one of my reservations about bringing him back. He looks TOO old! However I do think that PD is a pretty good actor and I'm sure he can slip back into the part with ease (the geeks amongst you will know about all those Big Finish audios PD has done, so it's obviously going to stand him in good stead). Re-watching "Time Flight" and "Arc of Infinity" the last few days (I purchased the recently released DVD boxset) has made me realise PD's consummate ability to rise above the cr*ppest of scripts/material - "Time Sh*te" being a suitable case in point. So I am rather looking forward to his return. And with Steven Moffat as writer, it looks very promising indeed. Tune in on Friday 16th November to see "Time Crash". (Hopefully better than "Time Lash" and "Time Sh*te" then).

"The Life and Times of Vivienne Vyle" continues to be not very good. Actually I missed last week's installment but episode two left me with a distinct feeling of underwhelmedness (I don't think that word actually exists) that made me think: "I don't wanna watch you no more!" "The Peter Serafinowicz Show" on the other hand is much funnier and better.

Erm. I seem to have run out of other things to write about. Shucks. Till later then...

One Happy Homeowner xx

5 Comments:

  • At 5:13 pm , Blogger matty said...

    Oh, I'm so excited for you (both!!!!) yay!!!!!

    A home of you're own that you both own!

    I'm really curious to see what the outside of the building which houses your flat looks like!

    And, yes, trust me -- I know how long it can take to get it all together! We only got lighting up in the kitchen last night and we're only renting!

    Can't wait to see!

    Congrats again!

    I'm bummed about the Saunders show -- but I've a feeling I will like it. I can just look at either she or French and find myself laughing. Gilda Radner had the same impact on me.

    I'm quite excited about the release of the most recent series of Peep Show to DVD next month! Will be ordering from Amazon.com UK as soon as it is out!

    That show makes me both cringe and laugh.

    kisses,
    matty

     
  • At 7:21 pm , Blogger Deemer said...

    It must feel really great to finally be moved in. I've always lived in apartments so I don't know how it feels to actually enter your new house for the first time. I bet it feels amazing!

     
  • At 6:55 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    Glad to hear both you and Gustavo are safely installed in your new home. Most importantly, what’s the television reception like? I remember last moving between episodes eight and nine of “The Trial of a Time Lord” (“Doctor Who” is a good way to remember important dates in your life!) and recording the first two episodes of “Terror of the Vervoids” with the aerial not connected properly! Still, it was only a Pip and Jane Baker story!! Seriously though, I hope you guys, to borrow Peri’s parlance, will be very happy in your new abode!!!

    As regards “Doctor Who” on “Children in Need”, you never quite know when to press the record button and it’s a waste of tape recording the whole lot unless you’re keen to see Victoria Beckham pouting her way through the Spice Girls’ latest offering! Regarding Steven Moffat, I watched an episode of “Coupling” the other night, on new channel Dave (Freeview 19), and was hugely disappointed. It simply wasn’t as funny as I remembered it. I hadn’t seen the episode before so it wasn’t a case of familiarity breeding contempt but it was from the last series, I believe, which might explain the poor quality of writing. Let’s hope “Crash of the Time Lords” is better written!

     
  • At 8:52 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Hearty congratulation to you both - I know the singular joy of stepping over a threshold for the first time knowing that it is all yours! Hope it proves to be a very happy home for you both!

     
  • At 1:20 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Thank you lots Matty!! It is a great (and sometimes strange) feeling!

    I will try and post a picture SOON - I have to buy another camera first...

    I'm not so sure if you will like VV actually, nowhere near as funny as JS's other stuff, but give it a go. I'd be interested to know your thoughts...

    Never watched Peep Show!

    Deemer - Actually it IS an apartment/flat that we've moved into, but within a house! First floor flat actually...

    Tim - The TV reception seems fine, in fact better than in our last place. I think this may be because the Crystal Palace transmitter (big metal thing that seriously rivals the Pharos Project) is only a stone's throw away from us...Trust you to have a Dr Who anecdote in relation to moving! Lol! And thanks for the good wishes.

    To be honest I've never been a fan of "Coupling" - found it very smug and kind of "this is sooo funny" when it wasn't really. Oddly enough though, Gina Bellman, who plays one of the lead characters, used to come in a Blockbuster shop where I worked...I too hope that "Crash" is well written, we'll see...

    Steve - Indeed, it was a wonderful feeling when I got the keys from the estate agent and walked through that door knowing it was all mine! Thanks for your good wishes again!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home