Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Vids for the weekend

Okay I'm done with Video of the Fortnight. For one thing, it's too long to wait for just ONE video. From now on I'm gonna be posting EVERY weekend instead. Not just one vid, but a few, to add to the general merriment. Hoorah!

(I had heard that posting too many You Tube videos/videos/internet links wasn't good for the "stability" on one's blog - I'm no techno-boffin so if anyone knows about these things, do tell....oh I am probably just being paranoid...)

Anyway, first up, a few newbies (well new-ish) - and look who's back:



"Two Hearts" is a strong comeback from Ms Minogue. I'm liking the slinky vocals on the verse and there's a distinctly Goldfrapp feel to the whole thing. And she's looking good in the vid. I guess I'm a bit less keen on Rock Kylie than Disco/Dance Kylie though (it's the genre that suits her best I reckon - the collaborations with Manic Street Preachers weren't really up my street) so let's hope there's more of the latter on the forthcoming album.

Oh and thought you'd appreciate the classy "TV AM" intro. But where's Anne Diamond?



This one - "Secret Sunday Lover" by Ali Love is actually a few months old - and he's had another single out since then - but I still love it! Saw it down the gym the other day and it immediately caught my eye. I love the Sci-fi pastiche (naturally) even if the storyline is kind of flaky (if they zapped all of his brain how come he's still functioning?) The song has also got a great 80s sound to it, just my kind of thang...

And from the CLASSIC CHEESER VAULT, this time round its time for a bit of 80s tack:



Yep it's that golden-haired boy/girl pop duo of the 80s, Dollar, with one of their lesser hits "We Walked In Love". Singer David Van Day has the most incredibly girly vocal delivery and is a right poser to boot (tho doesn't look too bad with his shirt off). As for Therese Bazaar, her voice is the aural equivalent of candy floss i.e. sugary, thin and insubstantial. Her "And I REALLY don't know why" bit (trying-to-sound-sultry-but-ending-up-slutty-instead) is totally hilarious. The lovers' hissy fits and so called sexy bits (pulling one another into conveniently filled-up bubble baths) are equally silly. And what's with Therese's switch hair-piece and fringed jacket? Fashion disaster!! Was Therese auditioning to become a member of Echo and the Bunnymen? Well, at least she didn't go the way of David...selling hot dogs and burgers in Brighton....oooh, miaow...

11 Comments:

  • At 7:12 pm , Blogger Mr. Anjou said...

    "Dollar: The Cocaine Years" They really did make very little go a long, long way.

     
  • At 9:48 pm , Blogger matty said...

    Yay! To anything like Goldfrapp! And, I think Kylie put her on stamp to it.

    Like you, tho. I prefer a disco sort of Kylie best! fun, upbeat, pop-ish, happy disco!

    But, I will take Kylie anyway she chooses to be!

    one must be devoted to Kylie!

     
  • At 9:56 pm , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    As well as Goldfrapp, I also think there is a heavy early-Beatles' flavour to Kylie's new single with the backing singers "wooo" responses to Minogue's "I'm in love". I actually think the song starts off quite weakly but picks up from the first chorus. I still think her best record was the collaboration with Nick Cave.

    As for Dollar, doesn't Van Day now sell burgers in Brighton?!! I didn't mind them probably because some of their songs were produced by Trevor Horn of Buggles/Frankie Goes to Hollywood/Art of Noise/Propaganda/t.A.T.u. fame, my favourites being "Give Me Back My Heart" and "Videotheque".

     
  • At 7:05 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Ha ha! Loved the Dollar track! A dodgy meat salesman? How very apt! Didn't David Van Day and Therese Bazaar hate each other in real life? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

     
  • At 1:29 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Mr Anjou - Hello there. Do you really look like a heifer? Erm - I must have missed that particular album. When did they release it?

    Matthew darling! - Yes I know you're a fan of Alison G. Indeed, pop Kylie is just slightly better.

    But of course, we're homosexuals, therefore if we don't like Kylie there must be something wrong with us, mustn't there?! (Only a tiny trace of detectable irony there).

    Tim - I'll have to listen to it again to pick up the Beatles bit. You are very observant. I liked the Nick Cave number although again being more of a fan of Disco Kylie I didn't find it very danceable (well, erm, it was a BALLAD - you dense Cheeser...)

    Yes as I said on the actual post, Mr VD (interesting acronym) does indeed sell burgers etc. Or DID. He was also in some kind of horrid Bucks Fizz hybrid band with Mike Nolan. Probably played Brighton Pier - handy after he'd done a day's work in the burger van I guess.

    I actually think Trevor Horn did a good job of producing them. I like the two tracks you mentioned myself.

    Steve - And what are you inferring with your dodgy meat reference? Apparently Mr VD and Ms B DID have a bit of a love/hate thing - and denied they were having a relationship at the time of the band's success - as you can see, the bickering seems to have spilled over into this vid! I guess things can't have been THAT bad though as they reformed for that "Reborn in the USA" prog quite recently - remember? Viva La Dollar I say.

     
  • At 4:31 pm , Blogger Steve said...

    Ha ha! Dodgy meat. Mr VD. Sorry. Filthy sense of humour...

     
  • At 12:00 am , Blogger Lost Boy said...

    The song's OK but I do wish Kylie would sing properly these days instead of the old breathy sex kitten routine. She sounds like she's trying not to wake the cat.

     
  • At 4:20 am , Blogger Deemer said...

    Wow! I have to say I really enjoyed the TV am song. Never even heard of this group. The video was so fun. We would never have such fun pop music here in the US. ) :

     
  • At 9:50 pm , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    Clearly I need to get out more, or leasd a less sheltered life! I do recall having a great fondness for the Hunters and Collectors song "Throw your arms around me" which I looked up on YouTube and found a great version with Pearl Jam that I didn't know existed. Thanks OC for giving me some ideas....

     
  • At 1:28 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Lost Boy - Ha ha, know what you mean. I suppose the sex kitten bit is becoming a bit of a cliche...Still it's better than old Kyles singing in an Aussie twang...

    Deemer - Were you talking about Kylie there? Or do you mean Ali Love? Or both?

    Sagi - I have never heard of Hunters and Collectors!! I suspect that you and I might have differing musical tastes...

     
  • At 8:43 pm , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    Hi Simon, I'd love to say I agree with you but I'm not sure what my musical tastes are - have many and varied CDs in the collection. About the only thing you won't find will be rap - have never quite seen the point of it. However, I do have an old vinyl LP by Erasure that I used to enjoy dancing about the house to!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home