Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Friday, October 26, 2007

Vids for the weekend...it's here again...

Hey my lovelies!

Once again it's Friday. Seems to have come round quickly this time, thank the Lord. Me and Gu are settling more into our new abode and have finally cleared away some of the mess. Furniture has been ordered and is now on the way (hooray! It rhymes) which is all very exciting. Not very impressed with Homebase though, who have just told me that it could take up to 35 days (?!!) to deliver our new wardrobes. Say whaaaaat?? Shame I can't get the Dr to zap forward in time to the delivery date and then bring them back to me NOW, via TARDIS.

And talking of the TARDIS I have just re-read this seemingly far-fetched story. Erm, comments, anyone?

Incidentally I haven't got an internet connection at home at the mo - we're getting a phone line put in soon though - hence a bit of a lack of posts from moi (I can only really post at work, and sadly my job doesn't allow me to blog all day - strange, that). But bear with me, I will be back on a more full time basis soooon.

Meanwhile, from the world of videos, here' s this week's choice offerings from the CLASSIC CHEESER VAULT:



You'd be forgiven for thinking that I've been a bit Kate Bush-obsessed of late. Here's one of her offerings from 1986, "Experiment IV" a clever little thing, and almost like a mini-movie. All about sound being turned into a destructive weapon and even assuming a kind of human form! There's strong overtones of horror in this video - the theme and realisation are actually pretty disturbing - but it's very nicely directed and shot, with a real filmic quality and a great guest cast carrying the story - comedienne Dawn French (looking a bit dodgy in a peroxide wig - or is that her genuine riah?); Hugh Laurie (looking handsome); Peter Vaughan (always menacing and a great baddie) and Richard Vernon (cuddly old professor type and the original Slartibartfast from "The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy). Great twist at the end too. Watch on.



Altogether now, "Nobody knows where my Johnny has gone..." A double entendre which caused much hilarity in the playground, as I remember when this song came out (anyone know what I'm harping on about?) This is a cover version of the Lesley Gore classic, "It's My Party" by duo Dave Stewart (not the Eurythmics one) and Barbara Gaskin and hails from 1981 (it went to Number One in the UK). I actually think it's much better than the original version - a very unique and unusual interpretation that puts a whole new spin on the song. I love the slow brooding tempo, which abruptly becomes fast and upbeat at the end (but it's all ironic, I reckon...)

And the video? Soooo 1980s! Erm - what's the meaning of the masked swordsmen fighting? (Oh, it's symbolic isn't it? Though of WHAT I'm not quite sure). Why on earth is Dave Stewart wearing what looks like an upturned cycle helmet? (He looks like Jason from the Friday the 13th movies actually). Why are the party goers talking to shop dummies? (Oh it's an ironic commentary on human nature isn't it? Like, we're all plastic people and party conversation is false and artificial...Wow! Aren't I clever!) Why does "Johnny" look like a nerdy geek? (Can't quite see why Ms Gaskin is getting her knickers in a knot about him, quite frankly, makes Bamber Gasgoine look like a stud by comparison which is saying remarkably little). Why does "Judy"'s hair look like a bad wig? (Has a cat died on her head?) All in all, it's a ponderous affair! But a great relic of it's time!

7 Comments:

  • At 3:54 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    A BBC source. Yeah, right. The lavvy cleaner, I bet.

    We'll see.

    I've tagged you, btw.

    Oh, and I remember singing, "Nobody know's where my johnny bag's gone..." No-one calls them so any more which is a damned shame!

     
  • At 4:33 pm , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    Will someone please save me from RTD? I hope the “adult” show he writes, in his timeout from “Doctor Who”, is the huge success he undoubtedly wants it to be, so much so that they commission a second series! You can just see the headline on the front cover of the December issue of the “Doctor Who Magazine”… Kylie Minogue IS the TARDIS! The Christmas Special is sounding ever more ludicrous what with the Titanic being dropped on top of Buckingham Palace near the episode’s climax!! Lord, I’ve written my review on your blog, two months before transmission, and I haven’t even seen it yet!!!

    By coincidence, I watched the Kate Bush song, “Experiment IV”, on YouTube not so long ago and, while I didn’t think the song itself was as interesting as I remembered it, the video still made me think of “The Quatermass Experiment”, which is no bad thing. I love Kate’s voice in it, and the strings too, but the harmony doesn’t take it anywhere. I’ve always thought of “Cloudbusting” and this one together, partly because of the science fiction overtones and partly because of the quality cast in both videos. I believe Dawn French to be eminently more talented than Jennifer Saunders and have never understood the popularity of “AbFab”. Now, having watched the video again, I think it’s a little like “Torchwood” with Kate’s manifestation similar to the Daniela Denby-Ashe creature in “Greeks Bearing Gifts”!

    Johnny, in the Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin video, looks like a cross between Thomas Dolby and Griff Rhys Jones! Now if they’d watched Griff in “Porterhouse Blue” they’d know where all the johnnies had gone!! Anyway, this was the age of the syndrum, those odd-looking parts of the kit in the shape of fifty pence pieces. I wonder what ever became of them? I have to be honest and say that I prefer Bryan Ferry’s cover of the song on his debut solo album “These Foolish Things”. Well, it is my favourite covers album, together with David Bowie’s “Pinups”. You’re right about Judy’s hair! She looks as though she’s had an accident with the blow-dryer!!

     
  • At 7:02 pm , Blogger doppelganger said...

    I doubt Kylie is the Tardis, but the idea is intriguing.... considering she's the most interesting and original and iconic thing in Doctor Who, she doesn't get the attention she deserves (the Tardis - not Kylie)

    The whole time travel angle is oft-neglected in Who. Bar the obvious historical tales,There's an awful lot of stories where it wouldn't take much of a rewrite to have the Tardis able to travel just in space not time.

    I'd like to see a story set entirely on board the Tardis....

     
  • At 11:45 pm , Blogger Mr. Anjou said...

    I needed that dose of Kate today. Many thanks!

     
  • At 1:15 am , Blogger matty said...

    I like the way they foto-shop'd her into that phone booth/elevator thing which transports him.

    I so LOVED that Kate vid-clip and song when it came out! And, I remember being all excited to see Dawn French in it!!!! ...I think I was the only person in my Texas town who knew who she was -- only a few were aware of Kate Bush. Sad, isn't it.

    But, I left!!!!

    I'm so excited about your new place and can't wait to see it! You boys are really going glam!!!! Spending the big $$$$!

    IKEA and Home Depot have become a sort of portal for us. ...but, only because B can assemble and change all that stuff 'round.

    He installed the coolest shower hose thing! I won't go into detail, but it can do rather magical things!

     
  • At 10:39 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Kate Bush always goes down well in my opinion (double entendre not intended). Experiment IV was always an odd release - released after Hounds Of Love and not really belonging to that album or the one that followed it (This Woman's Work) however, as people have already pointed out, the video is what sold it for me. Nobody makes videos like that anymore - alas!

    "It's My Party" took me right back to my school days. I love the sound of the track - but then I am an eighties boy at heart. The guy playing the keyboard thingie is dressed like Hannibal Lecter which is a bit disconerting...

     
  • At 1:09 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Minge - He he, you could be right there.

    Oh! Another fun tagging post! Took a quick look on your blog and will endeavour to produce something...I have to say though, 7 incredibly interesting facts about me is kind of hard to come up with, though...(He said oh-so-modestly).

    Tim - The new RTD adult show is apparently a gay drama! I have to say the indications about the Xmas Special do sound...very odd....could it be a bit of a tacky special effects extravaganza?! We'll see...

    I agree, "Ex. IV" isn't one of Kate's best toons but I like the concept and it's a video which makes a (rare) success of realising this!

    And you're right about "Johnny"! Odd you should mention "Porterhouse", I remember the flying condoms too! I didn't know Mr Smooth and Suave Ferry had done a cover of "Party", will have to give it a listen some time...

    Doppleganger - You're right there is a lot of mythology surrounding the TARDIS and she is surely the "heart" of Who. But I'm still not sold on this idea of Astrid=time machine, they'd have to work very hard to make it work. And I've lost faith in RTD of late...

    I agree, in the last few seasons we have had far too many Earth-bound stories. I understand that this was used as a kind of "familiarising" thing in the first season with Rose, but the series really does need to branch out now. An entirely TARDIS-set story would be interesting, like "Edge of Destruction", but then again the prospect of the Dr and the caterwauling fishwife Donna being cooped up together for 45 minutes kind of makes for teeth-grinding viewing...

    Mr Anjou - You're welcome! I'm glad to see there are a fair number of KB fans out there, perhaps I should post a video from her back catalogue every week...But then I'd run out in a few months...

    Matty - I think I'm going mad - which bit are you referring to, babe? Indeed, it's a great Kate vid.

    Awww, thank you, yes we are excited about our new pad too! Spent yesterday painting the lounge which is quite a large task! I've taken some pics of the work in progress which I will have to post up soon, as I know people are dying to see photos...it's a bit of a mess at present though.

    IKEA is becoming a bit "Everyman" don't you think? Actually we went to Homebase at the weekend (don't think you have it in the US) and saw a bargain dining table and chairs, unfortunately out of stock! God I sound like such a middle-aged, domestic queen going on about furniture...

    Well done to B though for all his efforts...and er, what kind of "magical" things can the shower hose do?

    Steve - How would you know about Kate Bush going down? Or have you been down on the bush? Okay I'll stop RIGHT there. "Ex. IV" was actually released to coincide with a "Greatest Hits" package that KB brought out in 1986, so that's why it was kind of "on its own".

    And you're right about the keyboardist - very Hannibal La Cannibal! I wonder if he ate the lovely Barbara Gaskin after they finished filming the vid (with a nice chianti?)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home