Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Work it, BITCH

Wouldn't you just LOVE to have a gym instructress like Olivia? (Although whose thighs those are hovering over her, one can only guess...)

Well I've been a good boy and recently joined my local gym. And today I went for the first time. Since moving from our last abode I've had no proper exercise whatsoever (well, none that involved going on running machines or the like - but we WON'T go THERE...) My excuse is that I just haven't had enough time since moving into our new flat - a lot of weekends have been taken up with decorating, waiting for furniture to arrive, constructing it, etc etc (and Jesus, I never want to see a box of flatpacked furniture again...) Hence getting exercise kind of took a back seat...

So it's high time that changed. I'm quite out of shape, or at least I think I am - my belly and thighs are distinctly fat n' flabby and getting into certain pairs of trousers is...challenging. Oh, the ravages of advancing age! When I was in my 20s I could stuff my face to my heart's content and gained hardly any weight. Then, bang, you hit your 30s and your metabolism changes. Suddenly it becomes easier to put on weight than lose it. With me it's a bit of a battle.
(And yes, Matty, don't you dare complain about being a size 32 waist! It's something I can only dream of at present! You are sooo lucky, lucky, lucky, boyo!) The other thing is (and I'm sure quite a lot of you will agree with me on this), once you get into a relationship you can often, erm, let yourself go a bit. The comfortable, settled aspect of being coupled-up means you don't have to worry (at least not quite so much) about appearance any more. I'm not saying we all let ourselves go massively, but once one is no longer "on the market", looks become less of a priority...Gosh, I'm being SO philosophical today, aren't I? However, staying fit and healthy does still matter I suppose. I don't want to keel over when I'm 50. Anyway if you want to know a little more of my oh-so-deep thoughts regarding gyming it, try here.

Thus, it was down the gym I went. I'm pleased to say it wasn't TOO much of a shock to the system. The place I've joined is very new and smart and there's lots of good exercise machines. It was also completely dead i.e. there was hardly anyone there, so it wasn't as if I was having to fight people to get onto the machines. The cost of membership is very reasonable and it's not too far from my house. All to the good then. I felt very virtuous on leaving this afternoon and buzzing with a certain amount of energy.


The other major highlight of my day has been a meeting with a very nice man (who I also suspect was gay, given the ring on his little finger and generally flamboyant manner) from a double glazing company. Golly gosh! The excitement just doesn't end, eh? The reason for the aforementioned meeting being, I've been thinking about getting the rather large windows of our rather large lounge double-glazed. When Gu and I originally viewed the flat it was in August. Now the Winter has kicked in, we have unfortunately realised that it gets rather cold in here - despite the central heating, which is a little on the inadequate side to tell the truth. Warmth and heating were not of course a problem back in the Summer which is why we didn't really notice before...Oh dear! We've also realised that it's quite noisy outside - the house is on a fairly busy main road with traffic going past and double glazing would of course reduce these sounds a fair bit. I'm not a massive fan of noise. Now, why didn't I think about all of these things before we moved in? Because I didn't. Aw well. Anyway the very nice representative man took some measurements and gave us a quote which was....very expensive. We're talking about a few thousand pounds if we wanted the windows done properly. I must say I was rather taken aback and we certainly can't afford it now. All of the decorating and furniture purchasing that we did toward the end of last year, not to mention the mortgage itself, has been a drain on both my and Gustavo's coffers. Aw well again...


At least: 1) I still have my own place 2) I have a very nice and considerate husband to share it with 3) It's the weekend 4) I have "The Armageddon Factor" to watch. Pure sci-fi tackiness that's lovely to wallow in.

Enough about me. What exciting and wondrous things have YOU been up to this weekend? Do tell.

7 Comments:

  • At 6:31 pm , Blogger Alan Fisher said...

    I flew over your house at exactly 1109 this morning.... I waved at you but you didn't see me.

     
  • At 6:39 pm , Blogger Deemer said...

    I need to get my butt to the gym as well. I'm thinking of starting tomorrow. I like treadmills as well and cannot go running on them unless I have music. Otherwise the weekend is uneventful. Just sitting here in the library.

     
  • At 6:14 am , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    I could tell you but you would then hop on a plane, drive like a nutter from the airport, run up our drive and start to slap me.

     
  • At 8:07 am , Blogger Steve said...

    I was very sad: I spent the morning updating web site on behalf of a client, the afternoon building my latest Lego model and the evening watching Roots on DVD. Perfect Saturday I reckon. Apart from having to work in the morning...

     
  • At 6:43 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Nasty girl! So THAT's what you were up to this weekend. Dare I say, I think I was still in bed at that time. Shameful, but it has been the weekend. I think I heard the roar of the jet though.

    Deemer - Get your butt down there, boyo! Yes indeed, the gym is so much more bearable when one has decent music to motivate one. Otherwise it's sh*t and boring. Uneventful your weekend might have been but you're being very good doing your studying!

    Amanda - You've said enough already. I know exactly what you're referring to. Enough!! Lady, when are you going to stop rubbing it in?!!

    Lol.

    Steve - Not sad atall, you are earning a crust! As for the Lego thing, that really makes me laugh. I bet your two sons do the cooking, housework and all the sensible stuff while you carry on playing with the Lego, eh? Like, total role reversal!

    I vaguely remember "Roots" being on TV years ago. The only thing I know about it (besides that it was a ground-breaking drama in terms of representation of black people) is that LeVar Burton, one of the stars, went on to play Geordi La Forge in Star Trek: The Next Generation. NOW who's being sad?

     
  • At 7:24 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Not sad at all - when we saw LeVar appear that's exactly the same thing we said...!

     
  • At 1:06 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Well, that's okay then. Great minds, and all that...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home