Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Sunday, March 16, 2008

30 something (just)

Tomorrow it is .... my birthday! And I will be .... 39 years old!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Erm, yes. Just getting that one out of my system. Not to mention adjusting to the fact that I am about to enter my final year as a thirty-something. I can hardly believe that the big 4-0 is so close. When I start to think about it too much I also get depressed. Now I know how Margo Channing felt. Where has all the time gone??

Ah well. I have plenty to be thankful for, as my good blogging pal Deemer was recently reminding me. I have a loving partner and I'm in a stable relationship. I have good health. My hubbie and I have our very own lovely flat (although I should add, since yesterday, we have had a leakage problem - water is currently dripping through the kitchen ceiling!! No!! I hope to God we can get it fixed).
So, yes. Generally all very positive things.

If there's one major thing that I am dissatisfied with though it's: my job. I'm not going to go into any more detail than that, as it's not good to start saying negative things about my career on the net, where all and sundry can be privy to my thoughts... Let's just say that I'm not feeling fulfilled and the fact that I'm nearly 40 has brought me to the realisation that some changes need to be made. It's funny, cos my recent post on gay characters in soap operas attracted a lot of positive feedback/comments (thank you to those concerned!) bringing home to me the fact that my skills and talents as a writer, not to mention my knowledge in particular areas, is just not being utilised in what I'm currently doing. I've actually got all of next week and some of the following one off work, so that will provide an ideal opportunity for me to have a good think and take some action. It's hard isn't it. I know that quite a lot of you out there aren't exactly in your dream jobs either, but like me, need the required security to pay the mortgage and the bills! But birthdays are an ideal time for you to take stock and make some changes. So we'll see.

I'm also going to York for a few days to see my family. It will be great to see everyone and have a break away from the routine.

Meanwhile, as long as I don't get a birthday cake like the one above, I will be more than happy.

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

  • At 6:24 am , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    Hippy burpday!! My sister-in-law has her birthday today too....as well, its St Patricks day! Hope you have a great day. I know what you mean about job satisfaction, and its good to take stock of where one is at and so on. Maybe midlife crisis on the horizon?

     
  • At 6:38 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Yes - happy birthday, you're about 6 months older than me (*smug grins*)! I share your dissatisfaction with the job... it's tough but I think you're right to take some time out and make plans. It's now or never. I'm pinning a lot of my hopes on my novel - silly I know - but it keeps me going. It's important to have a sense of purpose outside the work place... otherwise life is pretty drab and a real grind. Have a great birthday - and hope that leak gets fixed!

     
  • At 8:03 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    Happy Birthday, Simon. We both face similar problems age wise, next year, but, whereas you'll still be a young 'un at forty, I will arrive at my half century come January! Hope you have a good day, though, and make the most of your remaining twelve months as a thirty-something!!

     
  • At 7:25 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

    Happy Birthday! I'll be forty very soon. I'll let you know what it was like to so you can spend the next year preparing for it. LOL

     
  • At 4:05 am , Blogger Brand New W said...

    happy birthday dearie!!

     
  • At 1:54 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Amanda - Thanks m'dear! Aha, another St Patricks' Day person! I have sometimes felt overshadowed by the Paddies I have to say. But I know what's most important to me on the day! Irish be damned!

    Midlife crisis - that's a horrid expression! But you could well be right...

    Steve - Oh you're not so far behind me, Mister!! Agreed on what you say. I think it's great that you're plugging away at your novel - keep going! One day I hope to see it on the shelves of a bookshelf. You're right, if the day job is job you need some creativity away from that.

    And I'm pleased to say the leak was fixed - water coming from a broken pipe in the flat above us. The kitchen ceiling needs re-wallpapering in places but at least the drippage has stopped before any really bad damage was done...

    Tim - Thanks! A half century eh? That's nothing in Time Lord terms. You're still firm of mind and purpose I'm sure! I don't know, age comes to mean less and less as one grows older and in many ways I don't feel any different at almost 40 then I did some years back...I do intend to make the most of my last year as a 30-something though, yes!

    Lisa - Thank you, ha ha!! Yes please, do send me some tips on preparing for the big 4-0, coping strategies etc. You think I'm joking?!

    Hot Lunch - Thank you very much! I like your avatar - is that Madonna in her Erotica phase?

     
  • At 3:55 pm , Blogger Deemer said...

    Happy Birthday!

    Oprah says that life begins at 40. Of course that was probably the age she finally had a couple million dollars in the bank--but that's besides the point.

    Actually I'm going to believe Oprah this time--Life must begin at 40. So you and all of us that will turn 40 someday soon have so much to look forward to...right?

    Facing a birthday soon myself, I thought-wow my thirties are going by so fast...one day i'll wake up and be in my late 40's and 50 will happen before I know it. I started thinking what have I done with my life? Where have I contributed anything to society or done any of the things that I wanted to do. A friend of mine reminded me that I'm in charge of all that stuff.

    So I applaud your introspection at your life and hopefully your questioning will lead you to the path that you are meant to be on?

    Sorry this comment was all over the place...i'm a bit frazzled right now..i hope i was successful in writing something positive. ( :

     
  • At 4:24 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

    Deemer, you made a lot of sense to me, so I'm sure everyone will think so. I have been doing all the things I should have done years ago (call it a mid-life crisis if you will) and when I turn 40 I will be stepping it up a notch!! I've promised myself my first tattoo despite the disapproving looks from my hubby. :-/

     
  • At 8:32 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Deemer - I SO hope you are right. I hope 40 will mark a new golden age for all of us and many more wonderful and special things will come our way. I certainly don't feel that I have achieved all that I need to yet, by a long shot. As you say the years whizz by and it's up to you to take charge. I would say that many things in my life are sorted - having a house, a loving partner - it's really just the career side that I need to get fixed. I've felt frustrated and unfulfilled on that side for so long.

    Wise words, mister and what you said was most definitely positive and helpful! Thank you!

    And may I ask how old you'll be this birthday? 30 again eh?!

    Lisa - Good on you! Sounds like you're going to step it up to the max when you're 40+! And go get that tattoo! You say "first" though, that suggests more than one....?!

     
  • At 5:09 am , Blogger Deemer said...

    I guess what I should have said is that life begins at any moment you want it to. The real message is why wait, why not start now? Wish I could follow my own advice. Career can be frustrating though. Usually the thing that I want to do, pay very little money and you have to make a living. What it is that you exactly do? I thought you were a teacher?

    I'm going to be 34 in two weeks. It will be a bit uneventful this year--mostly spent in the library.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home