Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Back, back, BACK!!

Am I actually capable of using a different phrase to herald my return?! Apparently not!

Well, here I am. After a few weeks of hecticness (doing extra work in addition to my full time job) I finally have a bit more time on my hands. A bit. Life STILL seems to be fairly full and bursting at the seams at present...

My first and biggest piece of news is....I GOT A NEW JOB!! I have been waiting to announce this one for some time (should I say I've been bursting? Maybe...) but now I can tell y'all officially. I am so pleased. It's a lecturing post at an FE college in South London, teaching English Language and Literature A Level and GCSE to 16+ students. It's only a maternity leave cover post so it's not forever, but it's much more in line with what I want to do job wise and will enable me to use my teaching skills and creativity, as well as being a more dynamic role overall (frankly, what I am doing now just doesn't allow for any of that). Anyways I start there at the end of August and have already given my notice in my current job. Can't wait!!

And here are the rest of today's news items...

I have started having Brazilian-Portuguese lessons. In a bid to keep up with my husband and also if we ever move to Brazil (well it's a slight possibility). Not an easy language to master what with all the masculine and feminine, different "to be" verbs etc but I am determined to try. I think I need to be more conscientious with my homework though...

Dr Who has finished!! At least until Christmas! And a pretty good finale it was too, perhaps not a true classic but infinitely more satisfying than the Master-mess of 2007. More on that one in a while...

The OC spotted some famous celebs on a train last Saturday. Well, C list ones to be precise. Miaow. But it was soooo weird and funny!! More on that one a bit later, too...

Fellow blogger Deemer is leaving us!! Noooo! In case you didn't know who he is, Deemer is a gay Pakistani American from Chicago (or thereabouts) and he's lovely. In some respects, he's a lot more sussed about the real world than me - well the world of Islam and American politics for instance - but he's also written a lot about pop culture and there our tastes and interests gell. Oh and gay culture too - lots of interesting debates have been had there. So I (and many of us) will really miss him. Wishing you all the best, Deemer!

Went to see Sex and the City (the movie, that is) a couple of weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite some negative reviews. Okay so it was quite predictable and not exactly world-shatteringly different, but the four actresses slipped back into their roles seamlessly - like meeting up with your best friends again. There was some excellent drama as well as weepy bits. Loved the Samantha suishi scenes and Carrie's ditching of her old wardrobe bit.

I haven't watched the latest series of Big Brother atall. All that I know is there was a nasty black girl from Croydon who got booted out for bullying (I pray I don't run into her as Croydon's only up the road from where I live) and a strange blind albino man (that's not meant to sound prejudiced in any way, but he IS strange). Has anyone else bothered with it? The impression I get is that they haven't.

And THAT is about IT for now, folks...laters!!

OC x

Labels: , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • At 7:17 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Big congratulations on the new job - I can tell you're really pleased! It sounds an excellent move... with a bit of luck it could lead to a permanent post maybe?

     
  • At 7:42 am , Blogger Brand New W said...

    congrats on the new job!! i majored in English, so it's all rather exciting that you're going to be an English prof of sorts!!

     
  • At 12:47 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Steve - Thank you!! Yes, I am pleased. Not sure how much of a chance there is of a permanent job but we'll see....a step in the right direction anyway.

    Hots - Thank you again!! Aha, so you took a Degree in English eh? Enjoy it?

     
  • At 8:16 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    Have you considered watching "Doctor Who" with Brazilian-Portuguese subtitles as a means to learning the language in a fun way? Try downloading an episode or two here...

    http://www.seriesbr.net/2007/10/doctor-who.html

    Being RMVB files, you need RealPlayer to watch them back. And, good luck with the teaching post, Simon.

     
  • At 4:29 pm , Blogger Glenda Young said...

    Congratulations on your new job! I hope it goes really well.

     
  • At 9:37 pm , Blogger Deemer said...

    Hey there! Congratulations on the job and thanks for the shout out and for the email. I'll respond shortly!

     
  • At 10:30 am , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    Hi Simon, congrats on the new job. I have now watched the first 2 episodes of Torchwood...Gwen is really irritating me but I may blog about that and not bore you with it here....

     
  • At 1:19 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Thanks for the good wishes, all of you!!

    And Tim - good idea to get my hubbie more into DW - might have to try it!

    Randy Mandy aka Amanda - I know what you mean about gap-toothed Gwen. And her behaviour becomes even more morally reprehensible later on...I'm not saying any more (I take it you're watching series one?)

     
  • At 11:10 pm , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    Yep, series one. Hoinestly it is a mission as they have put it on 10.30pm...am usually knackered after a day at the knackers yard by then however, Monsieur Barrowman is a bit of a carrot to dangle (even if his carrot doesn't dangle in my direction...I can look!!)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home