Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Friday, July 18, 2008

Can we get together?

As Madge once sung.

Okay, ages and ages ago I came up with an idea. Having participated in this whole blogging marlarkey for close on two years, I've got to know lots of delightful and different people from many walks of life. It's been wonderful, enlightening and enriching. I've so enjoyed finding out about others; their lives, their experiences, their likes, their dislikes, their coming and goings, and...the rest. Not to mention sharing similar tastes, stories and anecdotes.

And now... I wanna meet all of you. In person.

I kid you not.

Mmmm. Now I know, there's probably a fair few of you who aren't so keen.

It's funny, the whole virtual communication thing. As said, I feel like I've built up some great relationships and, even though I'm hundreds or thousands of miles apart from some of my fellow bloggers, I feel like I know many of you. Of course that's not the same as meeting someone in the flesh. And a bit like internet dating, there's always the risk that you might get on famously online, but when you meet that person for real, it's just not the same. I'm also aware that some bloggers want to retain their privacy and whilst perfectly happy to wax lyrical and bare all about themselves on their websites, they don't want to extend the boundaries any further than the virtual sphere. In other words, they want to maintain their privacy. Fair enough.

But I'd still love to meet up with you and get to know you better. It would be wonderful to have a good conversation, share a laugh, have a drink, and most importantly, I'm intrigued at the prospect of meeting the real YOU!

Well, I hope I haven't freaked you all out. I did speak to Steve some time back and he expressed an interest, which is good!

So. Any takers??

PS I think a meet-up in London might be best ... so yes, that cuts out rather a lot of my overseas counterparts ... unless of course you want to jump on a jet and visit the UK! I'm not stopping you, ladies and gents!

Love
OC xx

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

  • At 10:31 am , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    OOH, would love to visit London again! I'll sell the kids and pop on over!

     
  • At 11:13 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Well, I'll just reiterate and restate my tentative assent to the proposed blog-meet (or would it be blog-moot?)... though being a dad with a wee bairn a day time meet would suit me best.

     
  • At 4:13 pm , Blogger Glenda Young said...

    Noooohhhh!!!! Way too scary! :0-)

     
  • At 8:10 pm , Blogger Deemer said...

    Can ex-bloggers have in on this as well?? ( : I would love this. Although a trip to the UK is a few years off for me. How about we meet somewhere in the middle? I suggest Iceland?

     
  • At 12:51 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm game. I do kind of like to be anonymous but that's more of a safety thing - I wouldn't want any photos of me on blogger (so if you take any you'll have to black me out!)just in case.

    Let me know if you set a date and I'll try my best to make it.

    Gina x

     
  • At 9:06 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Well, good to see some responses from y'all!

    Amanda - Yes!! You should - would be a great opportunity to kill several birds with several stones, surely? Perhaps slightly expensive on the travel side though...but what the hell! I would love to meet and hang out with you!

    Steve - Ta muchly Mister. Yes I understand with kiddies it's tricky so day time would be fine. Watch this space!

    Nora - Boooo! Don't be a stick in the mud. I would love to meet with you and exchange 80s pop/pop culture type anecdotes...

    Deemer - But of course! Bloggers, ex-bloggers, we're all one and the same! I guess Iceland is POSSIBLE...if cold...

    Gina - That's fine, of course you can retain your anonymity. Or how about on the day of the meet you turn up in one of those glasses-and-moustache disguise combos? I'm sure it would work a treat. I also have a large collection of wigs (no lie) that could cover up your real hair. Nobody, but nobody would recognise your true self...

     
  • At 9:38 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    As much as I'd like to, in my present circumstances, I simply can't afford to travel to London, Simon, I'm sorry to say.

     
  • At 9:03 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Hi Tim - That's a shame, but I can understand it's hard when funds are low. Glad that the spirit was willing though!!

     
  • At 11:15 pm , Blogger Brand New W said...

    i'd love to visit London, as I haven't been back to the UK since I left when I was 3!

     
  • At 10:32 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    haha I did once turn up to meet someone with a paper bag over my head. I did take it off after five minutes though cos it was difficult to drink my beer whilst I was wearing it.

    But yeah a wig and moustache sounds rather good to me.

     
  • At 12:17 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Hots! Well get your plane ticket booked pronto and get your butt over here...I'm serious! Would love to meet you!

    Gina - Okay, I'll get working on the cunning disguise combo - it will work a treat.

     
  • At 6:45 pm , Blogger newplanet said...

    Hey, seems like I just missed you at the weekend. But hey, next time I am down in London (or you're next up here) I think it'd be a hoot to have a blogmeet. Apart from Miss Caress Morell, I haven't met anyone on my bloglist. Count me in!

     
  • At 1:16 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Cheers Mr Newplanet! A meet up would be great! What I really need to do is get some projected dates from people...

     
  • At 5:02 pm , Blogger Brand New W said...

    i'll definitely look u up if i do come visit!! when i do come, i'm hoping to visit little country towns as well, maybe Royston Vasey and definitely my hometown of Bradford!! represent!!! :P

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home