Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Finito Bonito

I have now officially finished my job at the University. Last Thursday lunch time in fact.

And I am sorry?

Am I f*ck.

I shall refrain from saying anything else overly negative but let's just say I'm glad that chapter in my life is now over and I'm moving onto something else. Very glad indeed.

Next Tuesday I start my new teaching job. Unfortunately I used up most of my leave in my last position so haven't been able to take a major break in between jobs, much as I would have liked to do that. However as I write this, I am currently in Weston Super-Mare, on a mini-holiday staying with some mates of mine and Gustavo, so that's something. Weather is not so great here but it's good to breathe some REAL air and chill a bit ... just been for a walk in the town centre and on the pier, which is only half its former glory now, due to the recent fire which burnt up many of its amusements (sob!)

I haven't had any more driving lessons yet. Last week's was cancelled but I'm due to have a double one next week. I've also started reading The Official DSA Theory Test. Woo-hooo! So many questions and so much remember, although I have to say, quite a lot is common sense, thankfully. Some of it doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to it though, for example, how exactly are you supposed to calculate the stopping/braking distance according to the speed you are driving at? Is there some kind of mathematical formulae for working this out? You can hardly whip out a calculator whilst you're driving can you? Anyone care to enlighten me?! Anyway thanks for all your good wishes re: the driving stuff, 'tis appreciated.

I've also been getting seriously embroiled in the world of Wentworth aka Prisoner Cell Block H. And my hubbie is slowly falling under the influence too. Just a PERFECT way to unwind at the end of the day! We're just finished viewing episode 35. Only 657 installments to go.

Society darling Clare Goddard (that's her on the right above) has been banged up in jail for fiddling funds from her employers and is actually proving a bit of a hit with the women, having got governor Erica (on the left, above) to agree to throw a birthday party for her and the ladies, with lots of yummy food. What Erica doesn't know is that Lizzie, Monica and co are brewing up loads of illicit booze and they all get nicely sozzled on it (there's a very funny scene with Lizzie and Doreen totally pished).

Meanwhile top dog Bea has gone on the run and is hiding out with former cell mate Val. The latter, it has to be said, is wearing one of the worst-looking wigs in history (it's got to be a wig as when Val first appeared in the show she was a brunette and now she's a bloody blonde!) Bea herself is forced to don a disguise to avoid detection, which includes a brown wig (above - somewhat nicer than Val's "dead cat" one though) and a skirt which resembles a table cloth. Yes, this being the late 1970s, high fashion reigns supreme in Prisoner - not in the SLIGHTEST bit tacky or camp atall. Toward the end of the show's run, things did calm down stylistically, but this is surely Prisoner at its apogee in terms of style and fashion. Just take a look at Meg's outfit below:

Blends in with the sofa perfectly doesn't it?

I almost forgot to mention the fabulously trashy Noeline Burke, who has just arrived in the show -an iconic character who I really should have listed in my recent post. She's an, erm, "interesting" looking character who hails from a family of petty thieves - who, unlike some crims, are all actually proud of their doings and see burgalry as a way of life! Jude Kuring who plays Noeline is brilliant in the role, and her character, surely constitutes an original CHAV, before the word ever entered popular usage...

Bliss!!!

Oh, can I also draw your attention to two rather cool blogs dedicated to actresses Patsy King (who played governor Erica Davidson) and Jude Kuring (Noeline). You can find them here and here! Lots of clippings, photos and fact about the ladies in question, and compiled by lovely fellow blogger Eva!

Have a good weekend.

OC xx

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 5:07 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    Hope you're having a nice time in Weston despite the weather! Couldn't believe what happened to the pier when I switched on the television and saw it burning.

    I visited John Cleese's hometown a few times as a teenager. Have you taken a look at the older Birnbeck pier, currently closed to the public, which features a gothic toll house?

     
  • At 9:07 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Was in dear old Weston for the day a week ago - had lovely weather (makes a change) but was so sad to see the smouldering pile of ash which is the pier! Congrats on leaving an unenjoyable job - always a good move - and hope the new one lives up to expectations! Have a great holiday!

     
  • At 6:48 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Tim - Thanks, home now! Yes it was sad.

    Unfortunately I haven't seen the other pier,intriguing though it sounds! We were quite lazy on this occasion and didn't do much apart from eating, drinking and watching TV! So much for the tourist stuff!

    Steve - Sounds like you had better weather than we did - it was overcast and rained quite a lot of the time!

    Thanks for the congrats, I start the new job tomorrrow! Aaaah!!

     
  • At 12:18 am , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    Good luck for the new job, poppet!

     
  • At 9:59 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Thanks Amanda! It's going well so far, if a lot to take onboard...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home